Vine Choice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurkeyHollow

Turkey Hollow Winery
Reaction score
Looking for advice on variety choice for our vineyard addition. We're located in New England (northern RI specifically) and have an newer existing vineyard that we're slowly expanding. We think we narrowed it down to (2) varieties - De Chaunac & St. Croix. Is anyone in this grow zone that has experience with both of these that prefers one over the other for making wine?

I’m growing De Chauncac in zone 6b/6a. We are just going into year three so no wine yet. It is pretty hardy and easy to root from cuttings. I understand it is a dark, inky wine that is a good blender. I haven’t tried St. Croix. I know some folks have experience with both.

I’m in zone 6a as well and DeChaunac grows very well here too (Mid-Hudson Valley of NY). Its a very dark (color) variety that’s good for blending as @VinesnBines indicated. I’ve mixed it in my last several ferments with good results. I don’t have experience with St.Croix either.

I made DeChaunac with grapes from the Finger Lakes for years. I would say that it has a "typical" French-American Hybrid taste that isn't super on its own, and it generally works better in blends. I think it was planted more because it was easy to grow, rather than having any special wine qualities. There are many newer cold hardy varietals that I thought were better. Verona (very cold hardy), Noiret, Petit Pearl, Frontenac, Marquette, Geneva 7 (a "no spray grape" even), Corot Noir. For classic hybrids I preferred Chambourcin, Leon Millot and Baco to DeChaunac, but Baco can have very high acid and often needs to be blended as well.

This nursery in southern Vermont has some great selections: Our Vines - Red Wine | Northeastern Vine Supply, Inc.

-Aaron

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back