Vibrant labels at home

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good job. I may have to try that on my next batch of labels. thanks for sharing

Thank you, and my pleasure.

Of course, you have to cut them out yourself, which is a bit of a hassle, but you'll get a lot of label for the money. These labels were very large (they go almost all the way around the bottle), and I could fit four per sheet. That makes each label about $0.25 (not taking ink into account).

If I understand the matter correctly, a better question would be: How much am I willing to spend on labels for my wine?

There are many sources online for buying professionally printed labels on many different kinds of media. The problem with that is the cost (>$1/label) for small quantities. I purchased from Noontime Labels and Stoney Creek Labels and the quality was awesome, but I ended up paying close to $2/label with shipping included. That's a little steep for a home winemaker.
Nowadays I print my own labels, using Avery 22827 media and an old Epson WF630 inkjet printer. I use the online label design software from Avery to create a .PDF file to print on Avery media. That way I keep the total cost around $.50/label (cheap remanufactured ink cartridges included) and I only put labels on the bottles that I give away to friends and family or the ones I plan on keeping in the cellar for a while.
One trick I learned printing my own labels is that I can't have any kind of borders, because they won't be very well centered.
I use Stoney Creek and find that their smaller labels are as low as $0.54 so that's what I get. They're shiny, water-resistant, great quality, and easy to put on. They have a "reorder selected items" button so it's easy to get them again.

I use Stoney Creek and find that their smaller labels are as low as $0.54 so that's what I get. They're shiny, water-resistant, great quality, and easy to put on. They have a "reorder selected items" button so it's easy to get them again.
Are they easy to get off? I don't really enjoy that process, but if they came off easily I would definitely label bottles on occasion.

After much disappointment and expense trying to print my own labels I discovered sticky photo paper that can produce professional quality wine labels at a great price.
I can design 6-8 outstanding labels per sheet using only MS Word. There are 100 sheets in a package for $25.99 CND or $21.99 USD. Here's a link to the paper on amazon.ca.
https://www.amazon.ca/Self-Adhesive-Photo-Paper-Glossy/dp/B07425QGSGIf you can print photos, you can create amazing labels. Just cut to size and peel off the backing.
The labels come off fairly easily but are reasonably waterproof.
By the way, I have a paper cutter that gives me straight edges. You can achieve the same thing by using an exacto knife, ruler and due care.

Last edited:
Rather than the same old wine labels, I created a series of mystery wine labels. Even people who are reluctant to try homemade wine are quick to join in the fun to guess the wine variety by taste and clues on the label. Can you guess the wine type of the five bottles on the left by the visual clues alone? Hopefully, the labels show well enough. Unless you're Canadian like me, you probably won't be able to guess it but the other four are fair game. BTW, the two bottles on the right are straight up novelty labels.
wine bottles.jpg

Avery 94215 peels off easily and leave no residue, unlike the slight residue the gluesticks I used for paper labels leave. I found that if I mis-align a label, I can remove it and reposition it.
Are these the "Removable Matte White Paper", the "WeatherProof White Film for Laser", or something else? I'd like to do this for the ones I give away. Thanks.

Are these the "Removable Matte White Paper", the "WeatherProof White Film for Laser", or something else? I'd like to do this for the ones I give away.
The description is "Surface Safe White Film for Signs"
Avery template Presta 94215

IIRC, this product is available in several arrangements -- I like the 3-1/3"x4" (6 labels per sheet) labels a they are the largest ones that fit all the bottles I use, including splits.

The description is "Surface Safe White Film for Signs"
Avery template Presta 94215

IIRC, this product is available in several arrangements -- I like the 3-1/3"x4" (6 labels per sheet) labels a they are the largest ones that fit all the bottles I use, including splits.
Thanks Bryan, I'll give those a try.

Latest posts

Back