viable way to crush "thick-hulled" muscadines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wine newbee

Reaction score
I've collected about 16 lb of these grapes -- really tough-skinned, but ripe. I don't have access to a crusher, and when I tried to use things to smash the grapes last time -- not a good result.

Does anybody have any innovative ideas about how to crush these grapes? I've frozen all of 'em, in hopes that -- once thawed -- they'll be a little easier to mash (i.e., the cell walls will be broken down some).

Would it be crazy to use a blender to smash the things up?

I'm kind of a beginner, and don't want to ruin a batch of grapes I've put lots of time into collecting, etc.

Thx much for any feedback .....

Mitch

After you thaw them out, place a few lbs at a time into a 2 gallon Ziploc. Place the bag on a kitten towel on the counter top and snack them with a rubber mallet.
Do not put them into a blender! The seeds will make the wine bitter which you can not get rid of. The Ziploc method is from a friend of mine here on the forum, @Fencepost.
You can also use a 4x4, untreated post, and a 5 gallon bucket. Place the muscadines in the bucket and use the 4x4 to smash them. If your concerned about the wood, you can tie a plastic bag on the end of the post.
Hope this helps.

@Rembee's ideas sound good.

I tried to post a link to a Gallagher Sledge-O-Matic video, but YouTube is not cooperating ...

EDIT: Re-posting the link. Click "watch on YouTube", which will open a new tab and display the video.

Last edited:
Thx a million, Rembee; I think I can go the route of either of your suggestions.

Re: Gallagher - yeah, he was a blast. Recall the melons? None of the young kids I see at the gym nowadays has any idea of him. I was on a flight from FL to NC once, and he was in 1st class with me. A total hoot ....

Mitch

@winemaker81, the YouTube link did work. I was able to follow the link even though it said that the link was not available.
Cool! I re-posted the link in my previous post.

@wine newbee, at 2:58 in the video Gallagher demonstrates crushing grapes. It's not a very detailed explanation, but IMO it's self explanatory.

:p

Getting back to the original question:

If your concerned about the wood, you can tie a plastic bag on the end of the post.
My basket press has wooden parts. Before use, I pressure wash all surfaces then dose with K-meta.

After you thaw them out, place a few lbs at a time into a 2 gallon Ziploc. Place the bag on a kitten towel on the counter top and snack them with a rubber mallet.

The Ziploc method is from a friend of mine here on the forum, @Fencepost.
You can also use a 4x4, untreated post, and a 5 gallon bucket. Place the muscadines in the bucket and use the 4x4 to smash them. If your concerned about the wood, you can tie a plastic bag on the end of the post.

You would have thought that @Fencepost would have suggested the latter method, not the former! :)

I've tried different methods for my muscadines over the last 20+ years. I don't have a crusher yet, but have settled on this as my current method. I put about 4-5" at a time in a 5-gallon bucket and have a five foot 2x4 (pressure treated for extra weight) and smash them in the bucket. It takes a couple of minutes per batch. A better solution would be a 4" diameter round post with a handle, but I haven't tried that yet. Make sure to add pectic enzyme and potassium metabisulfite along the way.

This is how we do it. I put them into a large zip lock bag leaving about an inch unsealed so air can escape. Keep a finger in that hole or it will close up an slightly elevated so juiced won't run out. Take a mallet (use the smooth end) and break up the grapes really well. Then drop them in to the cone pestle juicer. It goes pretty fast. We do about 30 lbs in an hour and enjoy the time.

20190914_152158.jpg

20190914_162423.jpg

Sanitize some mud boots and get to stomping. No need to remake the wheel IMO
That's actually a great idea. Can probably buy a cheap pair of shoes or whatever and clean them off and sanitize them and then stomp on the the fruit. And keep the shoes clean and sanitized after every stomp and store away until the next time. I think I will try this. Thank you for sharing.

Genius!

Latest posts

Back