Very Well Aged: Archaeologists Say Ancient Wine Cellar Found

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
interesting article...
before grapes were farmed as a crop, they used fruits all ready plentiful.
figs and dates.....
i have made fig, and it is excellent.
I have not aquired enough dates to try a batch....

Thanks for sharing. I find history interesting especially when it comes to this type of subject!

Yes, date wine may be the first fruit based wine ever produced. It is likely that honey wines predate fruit wines. But the literature in the area of the history of wine and beer making is inconsistent and some of the techniques used to determine that grapes were used are not necessarily iron clad.

interesting article...
before grapes were farmed as a crop, they used fruits all ready plentiful.
figs and dates.....
i have made fig, and it is excellent.
I have not aquired enough dates to try a batch....

James, I think even before the Tel Kabri wines (the site discussed in the WSJ article) wines were made from grapes in Egypt and Persia around 7000 years ago (traces of tartaric acid point to grape wines).
( http://www.nytimes.com/1996/06/06/us/for-wine-5000-bc-was-quite-a-year.html?pagewanted=1)

and in fact according to an article about this find in today's NY Times, archaeologists have recipes of these wines and have reproduced them. Looks like they are getting ready to reproduce the wines from Tel Kabri from the chemical traces they have analyzed. The wines from this cellar apparently variously contained honey, mint, cinnamon, and juniper berries and some kind of resin acting as a preservative (they suggest)...

I dunno , but I think such finds are incredible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back