RJ Spagnols Very Rapid Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wines just fine

Reaction score
I started a Grand Cru White Zinfandel kit six (6) days ago. (SG 1.08) Temp:70F

I transferred it to a carboy today and the SG was .996.

Secondary fermentation is supposed to be complete after another fourteen (14) days. When SG should be less than .998!

How long should I leave it before stabilizing? :?

Last edited:
You are fine and thos happens very often. Just follow the instructions as leaving it in primary a little extra time as long as the lid is on and airlock is in place with water or sulfite solution. You could also rack to carboy if you want.

I have already racked it to the carboy.

According to the instructions, when the SG is as low as it is, it should be ready for stablilizing. However, it is does seem to still be fermenting, as it is throwing C02.

With the SG at the current level I would think fermentation will be finished long before another 14 days go by.

would it hurt anything to leave the wine a while longer to be sure if this happened even if it was done fermenting?

It would not hurt to wait. But, make sure you Degas it before stabilizing. Seams like what Wade said you have some trapped gas.

Dont worry eerything is fine. just check the airlock between water and sulphite solution. The reaction may be releasing the excess of Carbon di oxide. limit the sglevel to some extent.

I started a Grand Cru White Zinfandel kit six (6) days ago. (SG 1.08) Temp:70F

Do not worry I had an apple wine finishing in 4 days !!!
From 1080 to 996 in 4 days.........

Who says it needs 14 days ?????

Luc

Latest posts

Back