Very new :D

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

Reaction score
So here is the scoop. I am wanting to make my own wine. But I am kinda fuzzy on where to start and if i even have the room. I am living in an apartment, we are going to have a garage as well.

So I am wondering how much space do you need?

Also, where do i begin?? I have read a lot about wine kits and equipment but there is a lot to choose from.

Thanks for your help :d

-Courtney

Welcome !
If you are here in the sates I would highly suggest to CALL George here and he can lead you on the right path.
http://www.finevinewines.com/
He can suggest a starter kit as well as wine for your liking.

Welcome Courtney!

I live in an apartment here in San Jose and have no problem finding space for my equipment (and I don't even have a garage!). I'm just starting, but I have plenty of space for my primary fermentor, 2 carboys and all other misc. equipment. We'll see if I can still say that after I buy more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more and more equipment. :^)

I think the starter kits from George's shop (that Tom Mentions above) will take very little closet room.

Okay, is this garage heated? If not your going to need some type of heating for the wine to ferment properly. They do have what is called a brew belt and is what I use to keep my carboys warm in my basement. Here is a picture of this an uses 110 standard volts.
Brewersbelt.jpg
Wine making doesnt need much space, basically just a spot to keep 1 or 2 carboys or buckets until you get like us and have carboys all over the house.

Welcome fellow Hoosier...

Where in Indiana are you at? If NW, you can visit Bob at The Red Barn in Demotte. He's been making wine for a long time, and can pretty much answer any question you might have.

As far as how much room...all you really need is a table that can handle the weight of the liquid. The tough part is where to store all the wine when it's done...it adds up quickly.

You might also want to think of the kind of wine you like to drink, if you like Merlot...make a Merlot kit. The difficult part is waiting for it to age.

Peace,
Bob

As far as knowing what you like, try going to a wine tasting at a winery.

I actually live in central Indiana. There is a place close that sells supplies and ingredients. It is good to know that it doesn't take up a lot of room. :) I know that my bf also wants to brew beer, so that might be quite an adventure.

About the type of wine I like. I have drank plenty of wine :D It is my favorite. I am a big merlot and pinot noir fan more so than anythig. Some of my favorite wine came from Italy actually. I went through Tuscany, on the "wine road". It was pretty BA.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help so far :D I can't wait to get started.

Let us know what kits are available to you like RJ Spagnols or Winexoert or cellar Craft cause we have made many of these kits and all are not equal or sometimes even close. If you like big bold chewy reds then you will want the bigger volume kits which are more expensive but worth it in the end as the smaller kits can usually come out thin. What I mean by this is that they are concentrates and some of them contain 7.5 -10 liters making you add the remainder of water up to the 23 liter mark while others are 15 - 18 with grape skins to put in there and make very good wines with lots of body. There are also all juice kits which in my opinion are always better then the smaller kits but can vary as far as comparing to the grape skin kits being equal to them rarely in big wines but something like a Pinot Noir do a very good job.

Courtney --

For the LHBS in Indy - I like the one on East 65th Street best - Great Fermentations.

Easley's downtown is also great but a little more on the pricey side. They seem to have more concentrates for your own recipes. Of course there's always wine to taste there though.

There's an old shop at Kessler and Keystone but they didn't really impress me the only time I've been there. Everything seemed pretty dusty and expensive.

Good Luck!

space means nothing to your desire

Courtney,
Hello and welcome. I live in a 12x22 foot cabin in the middle of Alaska with no running water. I face different challenges than you due to the limited space. Believe me, if you want to make wine you will find the space. Instead of using your counter space to roll out biscuts, use that space instead to store your carboys. buy the biscuts in the tube, your friends will be more impressed by your wine than by your biscuts.:)
Unless of course you have a secret for the biscuts.
Great advice in here, all of will be happy to help. Making wine requires a helluva lot of patience but the rewards can never be measured. Keep it on.
Troy
:b

also wanted to tell you to look at www.midwestsupplies.com, they are a sponsor of this site. Because you live somewhat close they may nhot get you so bad on shipping. They obviously aren't the only game in town for supplies, but you can order there paper catalog to give you an idea of what is available. Compare prices by all means. But try to keep the "money close to home", (in your area), if you can, it's the right thing to do. There are several members in here who have dealt with them and they all seem quite happy with the sevice. Good Luck.
:b

Troy

Baily,

You live in Fishers! I am getting ready to move there! We just went to Great Fermentations this weekend. It was awesome! I cannot wait to get moved so we can start getting some supplies.

Thanks everyone for the great advise! And the kits that they carry at GF they are the Winexpert kits.... They look like they have the 8 week kits and kits that also take only 4 weeks.

Thanks again everyone!

Just wanted to add a howdy and glad to see you here. Hope you find the space you need. If you don't go overboard it really don't take much.

They look like they have the 8 week kits and kits that also take only 4 weeks.

things to remember:
1) kits are nice, but real fruit is more fun (experience helps ALOT though)
2) let it age, some :p
3) blending is good and sometimes better
4) HAVE FUN
5) it's addicting and you will have many that want to come over simply to "hang-out" and next thing you know you're naked in someones front yard :r

Back