Very low pH !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I made a Red Must two days ago , using frozen Grapes which I had in the Freezer since last year .

I adjusted everything including pH , using Tartaric acid .

Today , 15 Hours after adding Pectic Enzyme , I checked the pH .

That was 2.8 !

The Enzyme should have done its job very well and brought more acid from the skins .

Unfortunately , there isn't any helpful reagent such as Potassium Carbonate

available to me till next Week .

I added some sugar syrup which has the same S.G. as the Must , but the pH came up to 2.9 .

That means , it needs much Water and I don't want to dilute the Must any more .

Now , I'd like to know if I can add some SO2 and keep the Must

cold ( about 65 Degrees ) until next Week ?!

Hector

Thats a long cold soak! Id maybe hold it off a few days and make a good sarter and then get it started that way and adjust post fermentation.

Thats a long cold soak! Id maybe hold it off a few days and make a good sarter and then get it started that way and adjust post fermentation.

Thanks Wade E !

But I'm afraid of emitting H2S with such a pH .

I'm going to use "Red Star Pasteur" as the yeast .

Hector

Proper nutrient should prevent any of these problems and aiting a week could let all the fruit spoil which would be much worse as you can fix a H2S problem much easier.

Proper nutrient should prevent any of these problems and aiting a week could let all the fruit spoil which would be much worse as you can fix a H2S problem much easier.

Can a red grape must which is cold and has a proper concentration of SO2

spoil ?!

Hector

I honestly cant tell you how long you can keep them at 65*, thats not really that cool. I would try making some bottle bombs with 2 liter bottles filled with water and then frozen to try and get the temp lower. How long have hey been at this temp already?

Latest posts

Back