Very Little fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panda

Junior
Reaction score
I just want to let everyone know that I just joined this site and I hope to get some good knowledge from Y'all. If i ask any stupid questons just point me in the right direction of finding them. I'm not trying to be a noob.

i just started my first ever batch of wine. It is wild grape. I followed the receipe and I waited a week then tested the PA and it had only changed a little?? It just doesn't seem like it is fermenting at all. What should i do:?

Hello panda and welcome to the forum,

If you can add the recipe and your methodology we can help you more efficiently.

did you add any yeast?

Allie

We need some info like did you add nutrient, sulfites, what is the temp, starting sg or brix. The only stupid question is the 1 not asked!

Ok here is my recipe:
3lbs wild grapes
2.5 lbs sugar
1.5?gal water
1/4 tsp tannen
1 campden tablet
1/4 tsp yeast nutrient
1/4 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp acid blend
1 Packet Montrachet Yeast
makes 1 gallon
This is just off the top of my head, ill check later to repost.

I smashed grapes in 2 gal Vessel inside mesh bag. Boiled Half the water and put the other half in the freezer. Poured boiling on grapes. Added cold water. Waited till temp decreased. Added Tannen, Yeast Nutrient, Pectic Enzyme, And Crushed Campden Tablet. Took Potential Alcohol=13.5%. Put lid on container let sit overnight. 24 hours later sprinkled yeast on top and stirred in. Stir every night for 1 week. 1 week later took PA=12.5%????? Why so little change. Recipe said shoudl be around 3-4%. Now im just letting it sit for 1 more week. OR should i do something else to kick start the yeast. I had the pail sitting in the corner of my kitchen next to a sliding glass door. I received no sunlight and was around 65%

Last edited:
How are you measuring? Do you have a hydrometer? If so read the gravity. What is it now?

yes i am measuring with a hydrometer. the potential alchole is reading 12% and i started with 13.5%. i will find the reading you were asking for tonight

What is the Temp!!!!!!!!!!!!? Temp can play a huge role in how thisn will ferment.

I cant tell you the exact temp. it is sitting next to my sliding glass door. It should be around 65 - 70 degrees.

Get it warmer cause area tem and must temp are not the same. get the must up to around 75* or a tad higher but not quite 80*, this will get things going well! Also give it a good stir to get so 02 into the wine, done be afraid to beat it a little.

Ok here is my recipe:
3lbs wild grapes
2.5 lbs sugar
1.5?gal water

I do not want to be nagging (again), however grape wine is made from pure juice.
You are using just 3 lbs in a gallon that will give a very weak wine.
Next you added 2.5 lbs sugar and made a 1 gallon recipe with this.
That will be like rocket fuel, high alcohol low flavor.

Luc

Im not super familiar with wild grapes and know they are usually diluted down due to high acids but that does sound like a very low amount of grapes. Where did you get ths recipe?

out of a homemade wine book. There were only a couple wild grape wine recipes, they all asked for about the same amount of wine and sugar

some good news. the PA has gotten down to 7%. looking at the hydrometer i started with 1.104 specific gravity and now two weeks later it is at 1.030 specific gravity. THOUGHTS????

Just get the temp up around 74*ish and give it a good stir and some nutrient if you have not added any and you should be fine.

With that high a sarting sg and that yeast Im guessing it wont go past 1.005 so hopefully you werent looking for a very dry wine.

some good news. the PA has gotten down to 7%. looking at the hydrometer i started with 1.104 specific gravity and now two weeks later it is at 1.030 specific gravity. THOUGHTS????

i would drop that into a secondary with an air lock immediately. you don't want it to get to or below 1.010 as you will then look like this after a few glasses :d abv would be approaching 15% by then. usually this means it won't taste very good and have a "bite." getting a smooth wine above 15% isn't easy and usually means they are sweet. idk about ya'll but the only sweet grape wine i can drink anymore is a concorde. i still prefer those to be semi-sweet though.

I do not want it to be harsh. I would like a semi sweet wine. How can i achieve this? What specific gravity should i be looking for? When and how can i stop the yeast? Campden Tablet?

I use a heating pad to increase temperature --start on low.
For 5 gallons I use an ols electric blanket

Latest posts

Back