Very disparate fermentation progress

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flufnagel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve got a bucket each of Zinfandel (26 brix), Barbera (22), and Merlot (22.8) in primary, each from a lug of grapes treated exactly the same way.

Grapes were crushed on the same day, sulfited the same amount (1/8 tsp), pitched one 5g pack of EC-1118 in each bucket on 9/8. That was four days ago.

I’ve been punching the caps regularly since then. Today I decided to take a gravity check using my hydrometer. The results were very surprising.

Zin was at 1.003. Barbera was nearly dry, 1.000. The Merlot… was at 1.054! And it is clearly fermenting. I can smell the CO2 and there’s plenty of foam when I stir it. It’s sitting at 76°F.

I added a teaspoon of Fermax. Any clue how such a dramatic discrepancy would happen? Is it a nutrient issue?

It could be a nutrient issue, certainly. Or it could just be Fricking Merlot strikes again. It sometimes is cantankerous.
This is my first time doing a Merlot so I’m not familiar with that phenomenon! Glad to know that it does have a reputation.

Latest posts

Back