Veraison is early this year

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The grapes are all changing color early this year and it looks like harvest will be three weeks earlier than last year along the Lake Erie area..

I see Walkers is pressing Peaches and Rhubarb now. The bummer is they are closed to drive in customers until the end of September. It would be real nice to buy both of these in bulk instead of pails in the fall.

Why the early harvest?? Is it because it has been so dry and hot and the grapes think its later in the summer than it is??

Not surprising. Most of the country had a record warm Spring overall. Now we are getting blasted with record heat. Grapes are loving it as long as the water keeps coming through the drip system each day. The few clusters I let form from last year didn't start verasion until mid August.

Version this year started mid July a full month earlier! :<

I'm guessing I'll be picking my Frontenac tonight, brix should be up above 25 by now, week and a half ago was between 18 and 22. I'll be picking either grapes or raisins..Normal harvest time here is mid September.

Back