Veg Wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne

Fiesty Winer
Reaction score
I want to try some veg wines. Do any of you make them? Are there specific differences between these and fruit wines?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.:h

Starchy veg wines like potato wine need a special enzyme to help clear them.. it's called amylase and has a shelf life of about 6 months. You need to buy it fresh from your local home brew shop.

what are you thinking of making?

Allie

Thank you.
I have carrots, peas, leeks, swede, potatoes and parsnips. Which would you use? Are these any good?

I've never made any, but In my little winemakers recipe book they have recipes for corrot wine, tomatoe wine,beet wine, corn, onion (gross), parsnip, potato, pumpkin and turnip.

Like i said. i've never tried this, but I would be happy to send you one of the recipes( or however many want)

Boozehag ( a member here).. recently made a potato wine and said it was quite good.

She was pleasantly surprised.

I have planted enough swedes to have a go at swede wine in a couple of months. Have heard good reports on parsnip wine.. but they're expensive here, so will have to grow my own to give that wine a try.

this website below, does 1 gallon batch wine recipes..have used it for a few recipes.. They come out fine.

http://www.wine-making-guides.com/wine_recipes.html

Allie

Thank you.
I grow a lot of fruit and veg Allie. Another obsession I'm afraid.

Someone I knew used to make pea wine and it was lovely. I never got the recipe though. I've looked around the internet a bit but can't find anthing that looks like it. Does anyone have any ideas on that one? It had a really delicate flavour.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
If you mean pea pod wine?.. that seems to be very popular, as there are a lot of recipes around for it.

I grow an awful lot of stuff here too.. hehehe another obsession we have in common.

Allie

Could be peapod I suppose. He called it pea. I just haven't found a recipe for pea though. Loads for peapod.

Thanks Luc. I did wonder about sugar and nutrient values but I'm happy to be obsessive about measuring. I'll even go measure out of general boredom.:)

I've made tomato wine which was awful...won't do that again. However, coushaw (a type of pumpkin, crooked neck and green stripped) turned out very well.

Pumpkin sounds interesting. Wouldn't have thought of that.
I have started a carrot wine going today. Could be interesting too.
I've also heard that some of the more unusual flower wines can be fun too.

When I came home from my holliday a few weeks ago
I tasted my pumpkin wine. I had a bout 7 gallon (30 liter)
and decided to pour them all down the drain.......

Luc

Hello Leanne, yay another female here!!! We're not weird after all!!!!

I made a potato wine as one of my first wines and only because my Dad who used to make wines made it and said it was lovely!!!

It was interesting although it took a while to clear (Could have been my newbie impatience too though!) and I had to get extra stuff like Allie said as in the amylase.

I did like the finished product although I could nt get my head around the fact it was potatos and doubt I would make another batch to be honest!

I can give you the receipe if you want it....in fact I think I have already posted it on here somewhere?????

I'd love the recipe please.

Lol. Winemaking does seem male oriented somehow. I still get odd looks from my friends. They don't mind drinking it though I notice.:)

When I came home from my holliday a few weeks ago
I tasted my pumpkin wine. I had a bout 7 gallon (30 liter)
and decided to pour them all down the drain.......

Luc
Woa Luc what happened?? I am about to try a gallon of pumpkin and starting to rethink it. Tastes bad?
Not sure why wine making is male oriented?? Plenty of room for everyone who wants to give ot a try. maybe it is the stinky part?? Our friend Jane, who supplies me with 4L jugs, used to make wine but quit some where over the years. Lost interest she said. No one obsessed like me to keep her going I guess.

Lol. It is an obsession for me. I think winemaking all the time. I go shopping and other woman think of shoes or bags or something. I'm looking for wine stuff.;)

I won't bother with the pumpkin then. I do want to see what I can do with peapods though. I'd like to try some herb wines too I think.

Here you go-

Potato Wine

6 lbs potatoes
2-1/2 lbs granulated sugar
1 lb raisins
1 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
1 gallon water
1 tsp yeast nutrient
wine yeast
Peel potatoes and grate roughly. Put prepared potatoes in pot and just cover with water. Bring to boil, cover pot, reduce and simmer for 25 minutes.
Mince or chop the raisins and put in primary with half the sugar. Strain the potatoes over primary. Add enough water to make up a gallon, stir to dissolve sugar. and add acid blend, yeast nutrient and pectic enzyme. Cover with cloth, wait 12 hours, and add the yeast. Cover again and ferment 5 to 7 days, stirring twice daily. Strain through nylon, add remainder of sugar, stir well to dissolve, pour into secondary, and fit with airlock. Rack every 30 days until clear. Wait another 30 days, stabilize and rack after additional 10 days. Sweeten to taste or bottle dry. Taste after 6 months.

Have to admit my eyes light up when people ask me about wine making, its an obsession for sure! Although I still like my shoes and handbag shopping too!!!!! I have two friends who make wine and both are female (Allie and another who isnt in our group!) and no one else seems that keen...like you though they like to help me drink it!!!!!

Thank you. I'll give that a try. Guess I know how I'm spending my weekend!:)

Started the Potato Wine. Interesting. I'll look forward to trying it. Thanks for the recipe.:b

Latest posts

Back