Veg Wines?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luc says he dumped out his pumpkin wine so I am hesitant to try one. Any advice on it? What should I expect?

Woa Luc what happened?? I am about to try a gallon of pumpkin and starting to rethink it. Tastes bad?

Sorry overlooked this post.

Well it just tasted bad.

It was well made, not spoiled not to acidic not overly sweet or anything. A well made wine with a bad taste. We did not like it at all.

But then again, it is all a matter of taste.

I made one in 2007 and published the recipe on my log in september 2008. I made one last year again and used different pumpkins (do you have any idea on how many sorts pumpkins there are !!!!)
Although there were several people really enthousiastic about it on different forums, we just did not like the taste.

Leanne:
Now parsley wine, that is something totally different !!!
That is a veg I can recommend just like rhubarb.

Luc

No problem. Let me know what you think of the finished product. Everyone who tasted mine liked it......it had a sort of spicey fruity flavour that I think was from the oranges.

Leanne,
This past Feb. I did a carrot and a beet wine. Through the process the beet wine seemed to be progressing and tasting much better than the carrot. After I had racked everything for the second time (after about 4 months from start) I added just few oak chips to the carrot, suspended in a nylon sac. I removed them after about 48 hrs.
By Aug they had cleared ok, but needed some help. Added superkleer and by mid-Aug they were ready to bottle. By now the carrot was tasting very good. The beet was good as well but on the verge of being dust (read very dry) I think I may have ruined the beet in the back sweetening process (read about it here), but the carrot was bottled as is.

All in all I am very pleased with how they turned out. The beet has, what I would call, a strong earthiness to it with a beet flavor, and fair body. The carrot is lighter tasting but has good body and the oak seemed to balance it out nicely.

These were both 1 gal batches, I will probably do both these recipes again in the future, but in a larger batch so there's more reward for all my hard work! :D

just inquire about finings used during manufacturing.. coz there are some additives which have some animal extracts in it. fining agent is a processing aid not an additive... but vegans can be assured that it is a veggie wine

I've made tomato wine which was awful...won't do that again.

try green tomato. MUCH better. plus you can just do it at the end of season when they won't ripen well anyway. you will be very surprised with the taste, i promise!

anyone who tries tomato wine, remember that there is alot of acid in them. watch that as our first batch seemed to pull more acidity in after the first day.

try green tomato. MUCH better. plus you can just do it at the end of season when they won't ripen well anyway. you will be very surprised with the taste, i promise!

anyone who tries tomato wine, remember that there is alot of acid in them. watch that as our first batch seemed to pull more acidity in after the first day.

Is green tomato is some kind of wine? coz i havent heard of it before

Is green tomato is some kind of wine? coz i havent heard of it before

we make a few wines you wouldn't see on the shelf anywhere :n

there's a recipe somewhere as that is what gave my father the idea. it's just like lemonade with a hint of tomato on the end. not bad considering you would normally toss all the green tomato's at the end of the growing season.

Latest posts

Back