Vc tanks and so2 additions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maheesh

Reaction score
If you have a vc tank, do you just pull your lid off and add so2, or do you try to blanket co2 or argon in the tank before you remove the top, and how do you go about it? Thx

I add it through the vent port. No reason to remove the lid. Do you not have a port on your lids?

Ditto on what Greg said.

I just pull the trap, and add it in.

IMHO, Sparging (purging with inert gas or CO2) is a complete waste of time. If your wine is balanced, and has an appropriate level of tannins, limited contact with air is nothing to worry about. It could even be beneficial!

You can always use a stainless steel rod or something to stir it up, but I don't bother stirring too much. It will diffuse throughout the wine.

If you really want to mix the contents of a VC tank well, you could use a pump to pump from the bottom of the tank into the top of the tank through the vent port with the hose under the wine surface to avoid splashing and circulate the wine. The volume of the tank won't change much so there shouldn't be much oxygen exposure doing this.

I agree with putting it through the hole for the airlock. I also do not stir. The S02 will diffuse through the wine by moving from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. I like to have a sample tap on the tanks to draw a sample out periodically for testing S02 levels as well as anything else I want to sample for.

Latest posts

Back