Vaughn’s Wine Pics

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaughn

Reaction score
I think I've got this thing ready to go now.

This (I hope) is a picture of my beginner's set-up. The wine in the carboy is a Pinot Noir. Should be ready to bottle in a week. It is leaning forward a bit per advice I got from this forum. Yes, this is my laundry room. And, yes, I desperately need a second carboy.

2005-04-29_063610_setup.jpg

My first bottle of wine. (sniff) Isn't she beautiful?

2005-04-29_063743_bottle.jpg

I have begun building a wine rack under my bar. The bar doesn't get much use. My dog spends her evenings here for now.

2005-04-29_063924_bar.jpg

This is my entryway stair case that I began renovating last week.

2005-04-29_064130_stairs.jpg

And here is the previously unknown secret entrance to my new wine cellar. (For those of you up north, here in Texas, no one has an actual "cellar" or "basement".)

2005-04-29_064355_cellar3.jpg

From the top.

2005-04-29_064421_cellar2.jpg

Looks like I will be able to get a couple of hundred bottles down there. It's an awkward space, but I have a few ideas.
smiley2.gif

Finally, here is a picture of me and my lovely wife. Please don't tell her I posted her picture here. She will kill me.

2005-04-29_065305_us.jpg

Your first bottle of wine looks GREAT!! nice job, masta will love the topping up job..lol You must follow instructions well....

Thank you. I write training courses for a living so I guess I've learned to follow instructions by writing so many instructions. Mostly, I'm afraid of screwing up. When you invest >$50 for a kit and spend a month nurturing it, the fear of failure is enormous. I still need to wait a month before I can crack open any of my first batch. I'm especially nervy about that one because I have given away a half a dozen bottles with instructions to wait until May to drink it. If it turns out skanky, everyone will know it. Edited by: HollowOakWine

Nice pictures....I'm sure the wine will be great, those first always are. It's later when we want to improve things that we may not be satisfied with what we have. The main thing is have fun and enjoy.

smiley17.gif
Winemaking more than just a hobby

Just don't be too impatient with your wine and it will turn out just fine. I just opened a year and a half old Zinfandel that was made from a 7 liter kit and it had aged well. The more patience you show, the better your wine.

I know, I know. But this is like restoring a classic Mustang, and then having it sit in your garage for a few months before you drive it.
smiley7.gif

While I'm waiting, I've started another batch. Funny thing happened to me though. I purchased 2 kits (grand Cru) last week. One was a Petit Shiraz and the other was a Pinot Grisio. I wanted to mix up the Pinot Grisio, so I grabbed the box that had the picture of the white wine and the words "fine white wine.." on the front of the box. When I cracked open the bag and poured the concentrate in, it was obviously not a white wine! On closer inspection of the box, it has a picture of white wine on one side, and red wine on the other. But the LABEL says Petit Shiraz. I've officially made my first mistake. Fortunately, it only means I have to wait another few weeks for the Pinot Grisio.
smiley9.gif

I know, patience.

This Pinot Noir tastes great now! I can't imagine how good it will taste in a few months.

2005-05-10_061559_bottle2.jpg

HOLLOW OAK,

That is a real neat under the stairs cellar. Very creative!!! If we hear the stairs creaking we know where you are going!!!!

Ramona

Thought I would throw in a picture of our Rabbit, Packer, inspecting the stash
smiley4.gif
...It's store bought...before got hooked!!
2005-05-10_195314_packer.jpg

Latest posts

Back