Various questions regarding ongoing fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGX

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a tank that was filled with must on the 21st September (vat1) and another on 25th September (vat2). Same grape type and vineyard. Same Brix at harvest as well (21.2). Vat1 is filled at approximately 60% after punchdown and Vat2 at about 80%. In both cases wild yeast. Vat1 is now at 7.5 Brix and Vat2 at 16.5.
My questions are:
- Is taking must and/or juice from one vat to the other viable or not?
- Could it harm the ongoing fermentation in any way? If one is contaminated (judging by smell, both are fine), will in that case the contamination spread to the other vat?
- Why would someone do this? Could this be done if, for example, Vat1 stops fermenting so that active yeast is added from the "fresher" Vat2?
- Or could it be the other way around, if a winemaker would be more interested to increase the amount of Saccharomyces by adding from Vat2 to Vat1 (I have read that above 4% alcohol, only Saccharomyces is active, so that could increase the proportion of that desired yeast among the wild yeasts in the "fresher" vat).
- Do I need to clean the equipment (the plastic basket for pump over and the wooden stick I use for punch downs) between each vat? I have been doing this with very warm water up to now.
Thanks.

- Why would someone do this?

I was kinda wondering that myself!

I am not sure what the perceived problem or concern is. If I have understood correctly, you are attempting a (perhaps somewhat risky) natural fermentation, and everything seems to be proceeding as well as can be hoped. Right? Or have I missed something?

If you are losing your nerve, go ahead and pitch a cultivated yeast. If not, then carry on!

Yes, natural fermentation, and what I am wondering is whether the different stages of yeast activity/development can make a positive impact when transferring must/juice between them.

Yes, natural fermentation, and what I am wondering is whether the different stages of yeast activity/development can make a positive impact when transferring must/juice between them.

I have been trying "natural" fermentation off and on for about two decades. And I think I may have just started.... maybe.... to figure it out enough to produce consistent results** (and by consistent I mean good wine -- it is easy to consistently create bad wine :) ). In all other cases, it can be a real crap shoot.

The main question is, why do you think you need to transfer must? If one fermentation is stuck, there may be reasons that simple "injection" of must from another bin may not solve, and may cause more problems. Or not. Like I said, it is a crap shoot.

- Do I need to clean the equipment (the plastic basket for pump over and the wooden stick I use for punch downs) between each vat? I have been doing this with very warm water up to now.

Many bacteria love warm water, helps them grow. I would say you do need to consider better sanitation methods.

** Of course.... two decades may also mean that I am simply incredibly stupid. ;)

Back