variance on dragon blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will try....I get a taste of a white white, kinda like a white zin, are a grigio, but with a subtle taste of beach...i make mine a semi dry.
I dont like the really light color, using straight white grape peach, so i throw in a can of concord...just for the finish color...
Everyone that has had loves it....I think its the slight peach taste in the backend, and its easy on the palate even at 15 abv...

I got a question. Is there a page in here or can there be a page in here with just recipes? This DB is a big hit I wanna and I c many making different varieties of it. I'm a beginner am not knowledgable enough yet to know how much of others things to add. Like concentrates or juice to make a batch. I know u guys say its personal preference but doesn't there gotta b a close measured so the balance stays close?

I will post my recipe for dragon blood variant....It is exactly the same each time....I will post it for fruit, for concentrate,for juice...is that what your looking for.

As I would understand it you do any fruits that add up to 6#. The concentrates and juices would be nice to know how much for a batch. Thank you.

As I would understand it you do any fruits that add up to 6#. The concentrates and juices would be nice to know how much for a batch. Thank you.

It is also how I understand it, 6 lb. of fruit and enough juice to make 6 gallons of must, all together would be 6 gallons...

the amount of fruit I use is based on the fruit. example
strawberry i will use 6 lbs per gallon
peach the same,mango the same,pear the same
raspberry 4 lbs per gallon
blackberry are blueberry i use 4 lbs per gallon
the lighter the juice the lighter the flavor after ferment...
the original dragon blood , No offense to Dave, but It is a little light on the fruit....but thats just me...
The first time I made it I doubled the fruit...

If I am making a dragon blood from frozen concentrates I use 4 cans per gallon plus one in the end with sugar, to flavor and backsweeten.
And if I am making a 3 gallon batch i make 4, if i make 6 gallon batch i make 7...have to have some top off material.
If i make a port, I will make 3 gallons, becuase the brandy is going to take up the slack.

boozehound said:
Very good info James. Thank you.

I used 1 can pineapple juice instead off Lemmon juice ,3 bags of frozen tropical fruit from Walmart and increased my total volume to 6-7 gallons because lots of lees.my first batch is about gone, my second is clearing

petey, thats the way to do it. for sure....
3 bags of fruit is perfect, lots of flavor from that..
and the pineapple has a small amount of acid....
bet it turns out excellent

Seriously, James has made the most interesting (and numerous) DB variations. I am flattered by his exuberance! Pick a fruit. Throw it in a bag and drop it int the fermeter. Apparently, you can't go wrong. I've got straight raspberries going in my next one.

I am doing my 2nd batch of DB. Yummy ... thanks for the recipe!
One post read in part: "Go to Dave's recipe page for dragon blood and look at the Tropical Daze recipe." Can you post the URL to this recipe page?

Seriously, James has made the most interesting (and numerous) DB variations. I am flattered by his exuberance! Pick a fruit. Throw it in a bag and drop it int the fermeter. Apparently, you can't go wrong. I've got straight raspberries going in my next one.
Try as I might, I cannot find the Tropical Daze recipe. Can you help?

Is
well lets see...my variants with out adding the batch size. multiples of said.

strawberry only
strawberry/blackberry
blackberry only
blackberry/blueberry
mango/peach
peach only
strawberry/mango
fig
cantaloupe/strawberry
pineapple
pineapple/kiwi
grape only
strawberry/bananna
tropical fruit
triple fruit with added strawberry
white peach grape, from welches concentrate.
and some i forgot.
go for it, and you can cut your lemon to 1 small bottle if you want.
Would an apple x cranberry work with this? I was thinking apple juice and whole frozen cranberries?

well lets see...my variants with out adding the batch size. multiples of said.

strawberry only
strawberry/blackberry
blackberry only
blackberry/blueberry
mango/peach
peach only
strawberry/mango
fig
cantaloupe/strawberry
pineapple
pineapple/kiwi
grape only
strawberry/bananna
tropical fruit
triple fruit with added strawberry
white peach grape, from welches concentrate.
and some i forgot.
go for it, and you can cut your lemon to 1 small bottle if you want.
On the tropical, how much fruit per pound? Im thinking of doing a 5 or 6 gallon batch. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back