Varaible Capacity Stainless Steel Tanks (Co2/Nitrogen Purging)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac60

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using 2-150L and 1 250L VC SS Tanks, I have not used any gas to purge the oxygen out or top is off (Purge) for those of you using these tanks do you use a inert gas system?
Mike

I do know with fluctuating environmental temps the volume inside the tank can expand and contract so keep an eye on the level of wine in the tank. Especially if you have an airlock that can allow some wine to escape when the volume expands. There is a you tube video showing how to use a latex
Glove over the cap on the lid. I have not tried this bc I didn’t think I wanted latex in contact with my wine.

One of the reasons to use a variable tank is to limit O2 head space, thus avoiding taking other action such as using noble gases to purge a large airspace which may be an issue in a fixed tank. :)
That's what I thought, I have used these tanks for 20 years with no issues, someone asked me if I was using a inert gas system to blanket the wine before I put the top on it.
So I just was curious if anyone was using gas, because I have not, and did not think it was necessary.
Thanks for your feedback
Mike

I do know with fluctuating environmental temps the volume inside the tank can expand and contract so keep an eye on the level of wine in the tank. Especially if you have an airlock that can allow some wine to escape when the volume expands. There is a you tube video showing how to use a latex
Glove over the cap on the lid. I have not tried this bc I didn’t think I wanted latex in contact with my wine.
Brigitte, Thank you, I removed the marble bung and replaced it with a #11 silicon water-less bung. Seems to work fine.

Brigitte, Thank you, I removed the marble bung and replaced it with a #11 silicon water-less bung. Seems to work fine.

Glad it helped.. we have marble bungs on some and caps with screw lids on others. I think I like the screw type lids the best.
Cheers !

Latest posts

Back