Vapor trellis for Marquette grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2793A6AC-B778-4648-94A0-46CD5D0E6452.jpeg
as you can see Marquette does like to grow upward. I wish I had known that before I set all my vines up for TWC. IF it wasn’t so much work and time I would convert to VSP . Right now my TWC is at about 5 feet high.FBA0B927-671E-4C46-B7D2-6E42BC73EB96.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m just starting my Marquette so I do have time to choose. I have read a study showing better production from TWC, and it comes recommended by the nursery. I also see a lot of comments from growers who like VSP. Can anyone who uses VSP chime in on how many lbs of grapes you are getting per vine with VSP? What are the benefits and drawbacks of Each system?

I'm using VSP because I have different varieties, including vinifera. VSP will make spraying and netting more uniform as well as the look more uniform and traditional. I've read all the stuff about higher yield (Scott-Henry is supposed to be the highest yield) but the once I get past the frost and the critters, I'm happy with any yield. At a point, getting the vines trained, hedged, sprayed, leaf pulling.......VSP is easier.

My sister in law had marquette trained to vsp, she indicated a harvest of 5 lb. Mine are trained to twc and I harvest around 15 lbs. I really didn't think she took good care of her vines so that could explain some of the differences.

I have two papers from the northern grapes project. One study in NY saw the yield of Marquette nearly double with HWC versus VSP. One in Madison showed a very slight increase.

I have to say that I really like the looks of the VSP. It seems more orderly and “traditional”. And that’s not nothing! I don’t mind a little extra maintenance. I like puttering in the garden.

I also have Petite Pearl and am considering Brianna for a white grape. I have yet to research training methods for those.

I assume a changeover will cost a year of production so I’d like to figure it out before I have to start building the trellis next summer.

I haven’t tried change over but I would think it easier to go from VSP to HWC if you came prune. Spur pruned will cause a loss of at least one year of production either way.

My choice is driven by netting and spraying; and in the mid Atlantic, spraying is a must for all varieties.

I haven’t tried change over but I would think it easier to go from VSP to HWC if you came prune. Spur pruned will cause a loss of at least one year of production either way.

My choice is driven by netting and spraying; and in the mid Atlantic, spraying is a must for all varieties.
I think everything I have read about Marquette is cane pruning. It seems most of the northern hybrids are. What is your method?

I was going to spur prune to try double pruning but haven’t gotten cordons established. I may stick with cane pruning. I chose a spur and a viable cane with 8 to 10 nodes. Once the are cut and I can see green at the cut, I cut the rest off. Lay down the cane and move on.

I may give up on double pruning because my buds burst first closer to the trunk and cordon, which defeats double pruning. Same with late pruning, it didn’t seem to make a difference. I guess it depends on location. So much for all the studies.

Back