RJ Spagnols Vanilla Fig port style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Received this kit and want to start soon, wondering if anyone has started it and any thoughts. @heatherd @joeswine

Looking at the instructions, they want you to go to rack/stabilize/clearing stage when SG 1.000~1.010, and then add the f-pack.

F-pack is = 1.2L

Looking at the size and texture of the f-pack it seems very syrup concentrated and think it will shoot the final SG way up there.

At the same time, the initial SG will be high in the 1.105~1.1170, so adding portion of the f-pack to primary will shoot the SG to a level that I'm not sure the yeast could handle well (although they included 2 packets of yeast ec-1118).

The last port kit I did I actually added sugar to during the ferment, getting me to 18% ABV. Yes, it will be a sweet wine - it is supposed to be. Still, I find that even with all that alcohol, it is still unbalanced and overly sweet. So I add brandy. I've never added any of the f-pack to a port kit, though I have ended up not using all of it.

I am planing to use some of the f-pack either up-front or maybe capitalize with it through the fermentation process, maybe hit it with f-pack when SG falls into the 1.030 range (instead of using sugar syrup). What you think?

I want it a bit sweet, but not like 1.030 :sh

I just found and was just checking my notes for the MM La Bodega port I started in Jan. 2015.
I did start chaptalizing (spell?) around 1.022with ¼ simple syrup jar, did it 2 times and then it went dry, down to 0.996
After f-pack it ended at 1.030.

I am going to bottle this La Bodega now and will take a sip...:ib

@geek I typically use the entire f-pack at the end of fermentation and fortify with brandy. On this kit I will do the same. I also typically add oak powder during fermentation and oak spirals during bulk aging.

@geek. I haven't yet due to still having seven active batches in my kitchen from kits and fall harvest. [emoji3]. I will get it under way once I free up some space.

Are you starting now? I was thinking about adding vanilla beans to my batch possibly. I usually add coffee or espresso to my coffee port batches, plus heavy toast oak.

@geek. I haven't yet due to still having seven active batches in my kitchen from kits and fall harvest. [emoji3]. I will get it under way once I free up some space.

Are you starting now? I was thinking about adding vanilla beans to my batch possibly. I usually add coffee or espresso to my coffee port batches, plus heavy toast oak.

I haven't started mine yet.
I just decided to bottle my La Bodega which has been bulk aging since Fe. 2015... :db:db
Tastes darn good, not overly sweet even though the final gravity was 1.030
The sweetness is really 'sublime', is there but really well balanced. :db:db

I will start the fig port soon, although I don't have oak dust, we'll check for oak chips.

BTW - To bottle La Bodega I had the very long .375ml bottle, and I could NOT fit the bottle in my Portuguese floor corker, thank God I still have the hand corker....a little back pain but had no choice...:(

Some dimples on the top and cork not well aligned and inserted perfectly inside, but again no choice.

@Boatboy24
When did you hit it with brandy, after clarifying I assume and how much roughly.
I cannot find my notes.

Brandy was at the end, after clarifying and adding the f-pack. I added about half a bottle (375ml) and about two weeks later, another quarter bottle.

I have done a couple of the caramel toasted ports in the past...I add light tannins when I initially pitch. I add sugar to increase the sg. Light oak when I age..Then add the whole f pack at the end and brandy to taste. Everyone who drinks it loves it and curses me for only bottling in
375mls. My only complaint is why 3 gallons....I want to make 6 gallons and only pay for one kit :)

I use grain alcohol. I tested with both brandy and grain. Found the brandy modified the flavor.

Made the black forest port last year. Vanilla Fig this year.

Started mine last night.

I made coffee port last year with grain alcohol ( golden grain ) and also found that I prefer it to brandy. The grain doesn't change the taste like brandy does.

Just moved out of "secondary".
It ended up at exactly 1.000

Degassed, stabilized, remainder of f-pack, etc.

I added a full .750ml bottle of WE LE14 Super Tuscan kit to top off :ft
I was expecting to top off after clearing but not so much at this stage...:(

Had a half of a grape goop pack decided one week into fermenting to dump that in as well. See how high I can get the alcohol before the Grain

Back