Vanilla beans

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sipper

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed but I can’t find the posts for some reason,,, but,,, I want to include some vanilla in my next batch of reds. I know you can go overboard quickly from past info,, so,,,, I need a recommendation on how much to add for a noticeable but not overwhelming difference in a 6 gallon carboy. While answering,, would someone clear up the question of using just the bean casing, or with the beans, and is it necessary to soak them in vodka for an extract? For that matter,,,, can I use real, (not imitation) extract?

Real vanilla is produced from soaking the vanilla bean in alcohol.

I would use the extract for bench trials to see how you like the flavor, a drop, two drops, three etc in 100ml (or you could use measuring quarter cup of wine). Vanilla enhances a lot of sweet flavors, it is available as a single strength and double strength and commercial should go up to 10x, will be curious you like it.

Last edited:
Real vanilla is produced from soaking the vanilla bean in alcohol.

I would use the extract for bench trials to see how you like the flavor, a drop, two drops, three etc in 100ml (or you could use measuring quarter cup of wine). Vanilla enhances a lot of sweet flavors, it is available as a single strength and double strength and commercial should go up to 10x, will be curious you like it.

Thanks for the input. I’ll try a bench test with another Merlot I’ve already bottled. I really am just looking for an impression of vanilla when I sample for complexity. I’ve had a couple of cabs and merlots in the past that had a faint touch in the after taste,, and I liked it.

Thank you for that tip NCWC. I think I’ll experiment with both suggestions!

Latest posts

Back