Vacuum Racking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce67

Junior
Reaction score
Evening All;

Couple questions on vacuum racking. First how do you tell when vacuum racking is finished. My bubbles never seem to stop rising to the top.

And second, does vacuum racking evaporate or boil off alcohol?

Thanks;
Bruce in Dayton

Deep vacuum is fundamental in refrgeration systems, for the purpose of removing all moisture within the system. Vacuum racking has no chance of that because the vacuum is broken with the in coming fluid from one vessel to the other. Vacuum degassing potentially could boil off alcohol and all moisture for that matter but it would take far longer than you would reasonably pull vacuum on it. It does however allow co2 bubble to grow floating them to the surface. If no bubbles rise stop the vacuum.

Are you racking, or just pulling a vacuum on a closed vessel?

Bruce, I agree that the bubbles essentially never stop if you are pulling a vacuum on a closed vessel. However, one thing to note: If you have a pretty deep vacuum pulled, those bubbles do not contain much actual gas.

Evening All;

Couple questions on vacuum racking. First how do you tell when vacuum racking is finished. My bubbles never seem to stop rising to the top.

And second, does vacuum racking evaporate or boil off alcohol?

Thanks;
Bruce in Dayton

Need a bit more information about temperature and how far you are along with making the wine.

like others have mentioned - vacuum racking will only remove CO2

Back