Other Vacuum Pump???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetGlide

Reaction score
I forgot after being out of winemaking for a while just how much I dislike degassing using a mix stir or wine whip. I’d like to buy a good vacuum pump to do the job but not something that will bust the bank. Can someone please recommend one?

You can piece your own vacuum pump system together and save a little $, but getting the right pump and fitting can be time consuming and trial and error. The AIO system is well vetted and is what I’ve used to transfer, degass and bottle over 500 gallons of wine.

Another allinone recommendation. It works well. And it comes complete and ready to go. THis is the place to start.

But any vacuum pump can be made to work just fine. You won't save any money though. I've got a surplus hospital vacuum pump I use with larger volumes.

Just reading this now, I am the owner and developer of the Allinonewinepump, so please PM me directly if you have any questions or concerns about the pump.

Have a great New Year

Steve
Thanks for the replies. AIO it is.

I use the Harbor Freight "Brake Bleeder And Vacuum Pump Kit". It is a manual pump with a trap and all the tubes and fittings needed. If there is not too much head space it will easily do 20 inches of vacuum (the max you should use in a carboy). It takes a while to pump down the first time. I just come back and give a few more squeezes whenever I think of it or notice that the pressure has risen, until pressure holds at 10 or 15 inches. Takes a while (more than 24 hours for me because I'm not diligent on checking) but is low tech and easy. No more stirring.

I use the Harbor Freight "Brake Bleeder And Vacuum Pump Kit". It is a manual pump with a trap and all the tubes and fittings needed. If there is not too much head space it will easily do 20 inches of vacuum (the max you should use in a carboy). It takes a while to pump down the first time. I just come back and give a few more squeezes whenever I think of it or notice that the pressure has risen, until pressure holds at 10 or 15 inches. Takes a while (more than 24 hours for me because I'm not diligent on checking) but is low tech and easy. No more stirring.

I have used the brake bleeder in the past and it works, slow and my right arm is now twice the size of the my left, but it works.
I do wonder why you limit yourself to 20 inches of vacuum?? There is a video of a guy applying as much vacuum as possible to a carboy and having to throw something heavy at it to get it to implode. You can go as far as you can, PROVIDED there are no visible scratches in your glass carboy. Ah yes, there it is:

I agree about the increase in arm strength. That is why it takes me more than 24 hrs. I started using it 5 years ago when I don't think the battery pump was available, so I'm probably behind the times. I do see on the internet that the electric pump pulls only about 15 inches, is that right? I find 15 is not enough to degas well and quickly. Regarding the 20 inches max, that is what people recommended back when and I'm just playing is safe, though I do go over that a bit.

Ah, I was referring to the small 12v pump Swedeman mentioned. The allinone looks fantastic but is almost an order of magnitude more expensive than the Harbor Freight solution. I'm willing to build some forearm strength to save over $180 :).

Splash racking with the all in one is generally all I need in the way of degassing. Plus it's great for bottling. It's been worth every penny in my humble opinion.

I have used the brake bleeder in the past and it works, slow and my right arm is now twice the size of the my left, but it works.
I do wonder why you limit yourself to 20 inches of vacuum?? There is a video of a guy applying as much vacuum as possible to a carboy and having to throw something heavy at it to get it to implode. You can go as far as you can, PROVIDED there are no visible scratches in your glass carboy. Ah yes, there it is:

Nice video !! I also have it on a memory stick

Used my new AIO wine pump to do some racking for the first time last night. This thing is just great. As simple as can be to use, makes things so much easier, cleaner and safer that I could not recommend it enough. Thanks for the advice on this, it’s worth every penny to me.

Latest posts

Back