vacuum pump for bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boun Vino would be much better, this way you can cork the previous bottle while that one is filling. It will also fill to the right amount unilke holding your finger over that 3 way and guessing!
No guessing with my finger on the 3 way, I can see it, and the cost is zero.

Some bottles are very dark!!!!!! Maybe if you had a pce of racking cane in the bottle to displace the room needed for a cork just like a bottling wand!

Some bottles are very dark!!!!!! Maybe if you had a pce of racking cane in the bottle to displace the room needed for a cork just like a bottling wand!

Don't need it! After you do one bottle, you know where to stop. I will admit to using a light behind the bottles, but I do it for all bottles. Why do you have a problem with such a simple, no cost system? :b

Don't need it! After you do one bottle, you know where to stop. I will admit to using a light behind the bottles, but I do it for all bottles. Why do you have a problem with such a simple, no cost system? :b

Because it's just not cool! No blinking lights, no complicated valves, no automated do-hickeys to go wrong. Who wants that? We need complications, we need things to break, we need ... ok it's simple, cheap and it works! What do you want a medal?
:try

:ea

Dont have a problem with it. Ive just used the wand for a few years and I know that without that light it can be very difficult to see where the level is. Im all for the do it yourself cheaper person!!!!!!!!!!!!

degassing, filtering and filling with a vacuum system

The Enolmatic system is probably the most popular vacuum filling system, and it has a filtering option. However it is very expensive - about $550.
There are other options that can be assembled, using a separate vacuum pump. The challenge is the filler nozzle. I have built a couple of these from food grade plastic and stainless steel tubing that will fill a 750 ml bottle in about 7 sec, after evacuating air from the bottle with a 28 in mercury vacuum.
The fill level is adjustable as is the fill rate. The other function it performs is degassing wine during glass carboy to glass carboy transfers. It is very dramatic to see the amount of gas it gets out of the wine. Need to do it twice, and takes about 5 minutes each time.
Whole system is available for about $250, and if you want you can add your choice of filters inline. This slows the fill rate but it makes the system a 3 in one system.
The major expense is the vacuum pump.
I have yet to find any taste tests that compare vacuumed degassed wine with normally degassed ( stirred) wine.
Can anybody point me to any comparitive tests done??
Ric

I use and love the Buon Vino as well, does anyone else find that there is always a little bit of residual liquid in it though when you are done? I can never seem to get it out, and end up rinsing it out with sanitizer when I'm done. (I figure I'd rather have sanitizer in there than wine or water that could grow bacteria)

I use my vacuum pump to bottle all the time. I use the same stopper I use in my carboy to vacuum rack. You dont have to seat the stopper in the bottle, just hold it on top. No need to hold your finger over anything, just rock the stopper a bit to controle the flow. I can hold it on the top fully sealed with almost no pressure for a full flow, then just gently rock the stopper to get just a trickel when almost full. Lift up when full and vacuum is broken and flow stops. Only thing to remember is to have the full carboy below the level where you are filling bottles or else it will siphon..ooops..I dont keep the racking tube deep in the bottle I am filling because you then have to fill to almost the top because the hose displaces the wine and you wind up sucking some into the collection canister. I just fill to the shoulder and lift. Easy! And FAST!

This is the position for full flow..
P1010142.jpg

And this is how I stop or lower the flow..
P1010143.jpg

chachi, that's the way I was doing it before I switched.

I might switch to your design.. My hands were pretty sore today after bottling 30+ bottles of wine.. I need to make a little table that fits over my utility sink so I can rest the bottles "my hand" while the fill.. But I must admit, Wades pumps make it sooo fast to bottle, rack, transfer, ect.. Thanks Wade!!!!:db

The three in one vacuum system.

I use my vacuum system for bottling all the time. In fact, it will continue to remove a surprising amount of gas as it bottles the wine.
however, the result is well worth it.
the technical issue is the filler head, and seals. Other than that, hookup your vacuum pump and diverter carboy and off you go. About 6 sec a fill. I can send pictures if you wish.

'Good luck
Ric

What really makes the Buon Vino Filler work so well is the Fill-Head.

You can get the fill head
TN1011-1_1.jpg
or the complete assembly
TN1011_(2).jpg
which makes bottle filling really great. The full assembly is about $75. A lot cheaper than buying the complete filling system.

The only thing missing is a vacuum adjustment. The Buon Vino Filler uses a vacuum bleeding needle valve.

I use my vacuum pump to bottle all the time. I use the same stopper I use in my carboy to vacuum rack. You dont have to seat the stopper in the bottle, just hold it on top. No need to hold your finger over anything, just rock the stopper a bit to controle the flow. I can hold it on the top fully sealed with almost no pressure for a full flow, then just gently rock the stopper to get just a trickel when almost full. Lift up when full and vacuum is broken and flow stops. Only thing to remember is to have the full carboy below the level where you are filling bottles or else it will siphon..ooops..I dont keep the racking tube deep in the bottle I am filling because you then have to fill to almost the top because the hose displaces the wine and you wind up sucking some into the collection canister. I just fill to the shoulder and lift. Easy! And FAST!

This is the position for full flow..
P1010142.jpg

And this is how I stop or lower the flow..
P1010143.jpg

We use the All In One bottle filler system. Works awesome been using it for at least 8 years. Actually we just received our 2nd in the mail today. Thanks Steve for the great service. After 8 years and over 3,000 bottles the vacuum release “switch” died. ($12.95) Most likely because I used to run K Meta then water thru it. Now I just flush with water and blow air thru to dry it. Roy

Okay, finally got my Buon Vino Automatic Auto Bottle Gravity Filler and hooked it up to my vacuum pump and bottled my Chilean Malbec. Took 3 bottles to get it set and am in love!!!!!!!!! I bottled this batch in about 5 minutes instead of 20 with the wand. For anyone with a vacuum pump I surely recommend this unit and Im sure it works as great without the pump. Just 1 more cheap tool that makes 1 of the not so fun parts of wine making better.

This post is pretty old but hoping you are still member who can answer a questionhave one but I’m not sure what to connect to the vacuum pump. I tried just hooking the short hose to the vacuum and liquid flowed but when bottle filled the auto shutoff did not close and liquid started to suck toward the vacuum pump.
Can you explain the setup?

This post is pretty old but hoping you are still member who can answer a questionhave one but I’m not sure what to connect to the vacuum pump. I tried just hooking the short hose to the vacuum and liquid flowed but when bottle filled the auto shutoff did not close and liquid started to suck toward the vacuum pump.
Can you explain the setup?
Can you explain please post a pic ?

Latest posts

Back