Vacuum Ejectors .vs. Vacuum Pumps...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencepost

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out a way to cheaply and efficiently degas my wine... I have looked at the oil free vacuum pumps ($$$), the oil filled vacuum pumps (messy), the hand vacuum pump (blisters) and had a thought, which I am sure some on here has looked at.. I have an air compress and wanted to know if it could be used somehow, and thought of vacuum ejectors (I'm and engineer by trade). From the data I looked at a small vacuum ejector could pull down 70 kpa or 20 inches of vacuum. I have read that 22 inches is where you want to be to degas... so on paper it looks like it could work (and being an engineer, not everything that works on paper works in real life). Has anyone tried a vacuum ejector, using an air compressor to pull vacuum on a carboy full of wine?

Here is a link to what the device looks like... cheap, simple, easy, but the question is would it work?
https://www.grainger.com/product/45...kwcid=AL!2966!3!281733071015!!!g!537367848176!

Thanks for any input or guidance.

I am trying to figure out a way to cheaply and efficiently degas my wine... I have looked at the oil free vacuum pumps ($$$), the oil filled vacuum pumps (messy), the hand vacuum pump (blisters) and had a thought, which I am sure some on here has looked at.. I have an air compress and wanted to know if it could be used somehow, and thought of vacuum ejectors (I'm and engineer by trade). From the data I looked at a small vacuum ejector could pull down 70 kpa or 20 inches of vacuum. I have read that 22 inches is where you want to be to degas... so on paper it looks like it could work (and being an engineer, not everything that works on paper works in real life). Has anyone tried a vacuum ejector, using an air compressor to pull vacuum on a carboy full of wine?

Here is a link to what the device looks like... cheap, simple, easy, but the question is would it work?
https://www.grainger.com/product/45...kwcid=AL!2966!3!281733071015!!!g!537367848176!

I'm not sure what a vacuum ejector is, an other story, but I once had to siphon a large amount of gas out of my boat and was afraid to use anything that might create a spark so I connected the siphon hose to a 3/8 barbed "Y" and blew compressed air through it. In seconds it pulled the gas through siphon hose to the container. I can only imagine it created a vacuum but how much I have no idea.

I'm not sure what a vacuum ejector is, an other story, but I once had to siphon a large amount of gas out of my boat and was afraid to use anything that might create a spark so I connected the siphon hose to a 3/8 barbed "Y" and blew compressed air through it. In seconds it pulled the gas through siphon hose to the container. I can only imagine it created a vacuum but how much I have no idea.
Exactly! You had made a vacuum ejector! there are highly engineer ejectors that do the same, but down to a lower pressure... those are the ones I was wondering about.

The link doesn't seem to include an operating curve showing the air consumption, this is needed to determine if your compressor has adequate capacity.

I’ve been using an oil filled vacuum pump for years, a 10 cent damp rag wrapped around the discharge takes care of the “messy” pump. At under 100 bucks, and capable of nearly 29 inHg, it’s been my solution to to your issue. 22 inHg, in my opinion, isn’t going to effectively degas without multiple degassing / racking efforts. My wine is gas free in one short session lasting under 5 minutes, with no need to transfer or rack and create another dirty vessel.

Additionally, a simple valve allowing you to “leak” air into the system provides vacuum strength control for racking, transferring, and bottling.

It’s a lot quieter than a compressor.

If you think a compressor is loud, wait until you hear the ejector!

I kinda figured it was some sort of mechanical device using compressed air to drive a piston to create the vacuum, imagined it like an air driven impact wrench, but have never actually heard one, sounds like it might be pretty similar..............

I kinda figured it was some sort of mechanical device using compressed air to drive a piston to create the vacuum, imagined it like an air driven impact wrench, but have never actually heard one, sounds like it might be pretty similar..............

No, it is just a venturi tube, works on the Bernoulli principle. No moving parts, but the hiss is ear-splitting.

I agree regarding the noise. Most of the plants I've worked at used steam ejectors for vacuum, but they were located on the building roof.

Get a vacuum pump. It's super handy for all aspects of wine making the LEAST of which is "degassing".

THe AllinOne is very good with lots of accessories-expensive but best option

There are very cheap oiled ones on Amazon

Ebay has used Gomco or Shurco medical vacuum pumps.

Many good options!

Back