Other Vacuum Degas: When is enough?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would shoot to get the gauge as close to the carboy as possible but would think it should be relatively close as long as the tubing isn't that long. Also, might see if you can run it with the connections submerged or try spraying them while it's running to see if any water get pulled in. You said you have a bottle to act as a reservoir so pump should be protected.

Try bringing the wine up to 80 degrees and see what happens -

I accidently left a heat source on a carboy overnight - temperature was around 100 degrees ! It was just finishing the primary stage, and it finished alright and I racked it using the Allinone and 1 pass through took out all the CO2.

I would not suggest doing this as it was a mistake - but the wine still tastes good at this time.

I was hoping that my questions were specific enough to vacuum degassing and wouldn't start a 'my other way is better than your way' debate. I tried many other ways and products, let's keep this to constructive posts on vacuum degassing.

Vacuum Degassing:

If you bulk age for 1 year, then there is no need for a degassing step. Time and Racking under vacuum (primary to secondary, 1 week after when stabilizing, 4 weeks after that, and every 3 months after that) will take care of the gas and sediment.

Vacuum Degassing:

If you bulk age for 1 year, then there is no need for a degassing step. Time and Racking under vacuum (primary to secondary, 1 week after when stabilizing, 4 weeks after that, and every 3 months after that) will take care of the gas and sediment.

I think the point he was trying to make is that he doesn't want to derail this thread with other methods of degassing, he gets it, there are a lot of other ways, he just wants to understand this method and his setup.

Back