Vacuum Degas - How often?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guttoc27

Junior
Reaction score
I am planning to use a handheld break bleeder to degas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read that you should't use a drill-mounted device too often, nor too long after fermentation to avoid oxygen exposure.

If that is true, do the rules change when using some type of vacuum system (break bleeder, pump, etc)? Since you're not whipping up the wine, is it advisable to do this many times before bottling? If so, how often? i.e. Only at rackings? Whenever the mood strikes?

Also, are there any special precautions with this type of degas? i.e. don't degas off lees? Only degas with fresh k-meta? etc etc? Or can I just pass by the carboys on any given day and think, "Hmmmm, I feel like a degassing session today" and just hook up the lines and go?

Thank you in advance for your insights!

I an not sure where the myth of oxidation started for use of a drill mounted device but it should work fine. with this device degas only required once. I believe with a break bleeder it is also once. with a vacuum pump, degassing occurs each time you rack usually not requiring any special event.

Back