Vacation / Property Scouting Trip

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally done with California. Our agent was the most professional and efficient you could hope for BUT the buyers people were the worst ever. Took almost 2 months to finalize everything but when it's all said and done it sold for what we wanted, actually way over anything comparable in the area based on size and baths but we put so much work into the house and it paid off. Now as an official Arizonian I can sit back, watch the news from So Cal and just laugh and how silly much of what is being promoted there sounds. If I've not posted this pic before it's Lori and I saying good bye to most of the state officials, with love M&L....:f2
Good bye So Cal.jpg

Finally done with California. Our agent was the most professional and efficient you could hope for BUT the buyers people were the worst ever. Took almost 2 months to finalize everything but when it's all said and done it sold for what we wanted, actually way over anything comparable in the area based on size and baths but we put so much work into the house and it paid off. Now as an official Arizonian I can sit back, watch the news from So Cal and just laugh and how silly much of what is being promoted there sounds. If I've not posted this pic before it's Lori and I saying good bye to most of the state officials, with love M&L....:f2
View attachment 54674

I'm starting to think the same thing about Illinois. We looked at some lake front properties in Wisconsin.

Things are progressing..slowly..but not totally unexpected. Got to play General Manager for the first time over a "pissing match" between 3 different trades. All offering their best advice, though I'm sure, based on best being what's easiest for them. It took forever to find a company to build a foundation and his suggestion was to raise the floor elevation 4 feet to save moving about 500 cubic yards of dirt when grading. Excavator said it wouldn't save any time or money and architect said it would cost extra to redraw the grading and foundation plans. After pissing each one off to one degree or another during 2 or 3 calls to each we decided to raise the foundation the 4 feet. Partially because it actually improves the view from our deck and living room and partially because I didn't want to dismiss the suggestions of the only guy willing to build our foundation.

We're still revising and seeking quotes and adjusting our budget and so far still looking like we're where we need to be to end up with a finished home sometime in the future. We also happened to be wandering around Home Depot just after they pulled out a display oven and put it up for a discounted price. We planned on a single wall oven and expected to spend 1,600.00 or so for one but this display model GE double oven was priced at 1,200.00 and had all the features we wanted. Loaded up the truck and put it in the garage with the Pro cooktop. Keeping our eyes open for deals on the rest of appliances. Nice to have both time a space to do this now and not have to be pressed as the kitchen is getting finished.

Hope to apply for grading and septic permits in the next couple of weeks then BREAK GROUND!
doubleOven.jpg

Things are progressing..slowly..but not totally unexpected. Got to play General Manager for the first time over a "pissing match" between 3 different trades. All offering their best advice, though I'm sure, based on best being what's easiest for them. It took forever to find a company to build a foundation and his suggestion was to raise the floor elevation 4 feet to save moving about 500 cubic yards of dirt when grading. Excavator said it wouldn't save any time or money and architect said it would cost extra to redraw the grading and foundation plans. After pissing each one off to one degree or another during 2 or 3 calls to each we decided to raise the foundation the 4 feet. Partially because it actually improves the view from our deck and living room and partially because I didn't want to dismiss the suggestions of the only guy willing to build our foundation.

We're still revising and seeking quotes and adjusting our budget and so far still looking like we're where we need to be to end up with a finished home sometime in the future. We also happened to be wandering around Home Depot just after they pulled out a display oven and put it up for a discounted price. We planned on a single wall oven and expected to spend 1,600.00 or so for one but this display model GE double oven was priced at 1,200.00 and had all the features we wanted. Loaded up the truck and put it in the garage with the Pro cooktop. Keeping our eyes open for deals on the rest of appliances. Nice to have both time a space to do this now and not have to be pressed as the kitchen is getting finished.

Hope to apply for grading and septic permits in the next couple of weeks then BREAK GROUND!
View attachment 55144

Been looking at your elevations, grading and floor plan and unless I'm missing something I can't see why raising the house 4' wouldn't save on the excavation. Plus it could possibly eliminate the retaining wall. As far as the grading plan changes goes all that will need to be done is change a few finish grades. It can't possibly take that much time. If you ever need a professional second opinion please feel free to reach out to me.

Back