usually a liqueur maker...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poet

Junior
Reaction score
hi I'm from Cheshire, UK.

I've been making fruit liqueurs for a cple of years now. We usually use wild fruit that we forage for. We use about 500g fruit to 1 litre of vodka and let it sit for a few months, strain off and add sugar syrup.

I want to get more into wine making, we've got all the equipment, several books, have read loads on the net etc. We have made wine before but, although drinkable, it wasn't terrific. i think that's because my husband is too eager and drinks it before it's had chance to age.

We've got lots of wild cherries recently picked, sitting in the freezer, and would like to make a good cherry wine.

I like sweet wine, the husband likes medium/dry. So i think we'll make the wine, finish it then I'll add sugar to my batch before bottling.

Has anyone made a really nice cherry wine and if so do you have a good recipe? Should I post that question somewhere else?

regards

Justine

welcome justine! i'm a newbie myself, but you'll find lots of help on here. there is a recipe section on the main page. lots of good info under search function, too! your liquer sounds wonderful! may have to try that myself!
freezing your cherries was a good first step. remember not to add sugar blindly, go by your hydrometer, and when next in kentucky, drop a bottle off to me, lol

Hello Justine, glad you could join in. Tom talks alot about liquers. I am surprised there inst much talk about it.

If you are looking for specific recipie, look through the recipe section inhere.

If not post a questin where you think appropriate.

Remember, even if you make a large batch of wine, it ALL doesn't have to be backsweetened. Before bottling you can always chose what portion you would like sweet and what to leave to go dry.

I recently heard the husband wasn't always right!! LOL

Glad to have you and the hubby on board. Feel free to ask away.

We'll sure try to do our best to answer your questions and inquiries!

Justine welcome to the forum.
You need to remind your hubby that patience is one of the keys to superb wine making.

When you get a moment I'd like to invite you to take a look at "The Map"
and add yourself we would love to see some more markers in the UK.

get to many members marked from the UK, and it could turn into a "bluh-ee cunspear-ah cee" Could put you Pennsylvanians right off the map.

LOL

Welcome to our forum watch out us crazies in here you never know what we will say just kidding remember before bottleing and sweeting always use sorbate

Welcome, I dont have access to cherries really here except for Bing or Sour Cherries in the store but we would really need to know what lind of cherries you have. If they are Choke cherries I have recently put a recipe in our recipe section that mnay people have made and drank and loved and is easy to follow.

they're just wild cherries, don't know how else to describe them :D

Do they look like a bing cherry, do they taste sweet or sour

until i've made 5 posts, so this being the 5th, I'll try a link on the next post....

Latest posts

Back