Using vodka to increase alcohol content?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you say corn sugar do you mean like corn syrup like karo?

Corn sugar is not quite the same thing as Karo. Corn sugar is what most use to prime beer for carbonation. Now I am not sure if corn sugar is just dehydrated Karo. Heck, it might work but Wade was referring to the powdered sugar used for priming.

To the original poster, let us know what you go with and how it turns out. I am not a fan of boosting the ABV of kits as I feel they are very balanced as is but I learn something new every day. Plus I normally have a pretty good buzz after drinking a bottle of wine the way it is with no boost of ABV :d

Thanks for all he help everyone.. Next time, i am going to add some sugar to the kit i use to increase the alcohol. As for this batch, since it is already close to bottling, I am going to add some vodka to maybe half the batch and see what the taste difference is...

I am heavily considering this option, but have a few questions/concerns.

Now say i want to boost a kit wine from around 13.5% up just a little and add a 750 ml bottle of smirnoff...

do i do this when i first rock to a carboy or do i wait a bit?

how noticable will it be on final taste? i'm sure this depends on aging, original kit,etc

has anyone tryed this?

as always any help/guidance is greatly appriciated.

Just to let you know i am thinking about trying this with an upcoming batch to be determined later but likely an amarone...

we have used many liqours to add abv. works great! although, we tend to usually make them extra special. examples: pecan becomes pecan maple bourbon and raspberry merlot becomes rasp merlot chocolate liqour (chocolate w/vodka made from nibs). only apricote was fortified w/ brandy. it was still very good!

the key is to pair up a liqour with the right flavor. vodka and everclear don't really have flavor, so you can mix them with pretty much anything. brandy, whiskey and bourbons are better with certain types of fruits. i would imagine apple would be good with a whiskey or bourbon.

the best thing about making home made wine. it's for YOU! buy a few semi-cheap liqours and mix them into a glass of the wine. find out what YOU like. you'll be suprised and glad you did. i HATE brandy, but the apricote brandy is tasty!

Yes, do smaller bench trials like by using a 750 bottle of wine and taste till you get it right and then multiply by what you have left to fortify. I would do tjis after it has aged a little as the wine will taste better and different in time.

Back