Using Vodka to fortify Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There isn't really a recipe -- use Pearson's Square to figure out how much to use based upon the wine's ABV, the spirit's ABV, and the target's ABV.

Personally, I find Pearson's Square to be a PITA to use, so I programmed an Excel workbook to do it. If you have Excel, PM me your email address and I'll send a copy. It's a bit rough, but you plug in numbers and it does the job.

Me? I use EverClear 151 to fortify, so I use less spirit and dilute the wine less. If EverClear 190 was available in NC, I'd use that. Which reminds me, I need to buy a couple of bottles when I travel out of state.

Given the thread -- I'm curious what wines folks typically fortify and by how much?

Cheers!

Given the thread -- I'm curious what wines folks typically fortify and by how much?
The only wine I've fortified was the Port I assembled last December, and I pushed it to 20%.

So far, I'm happy with the experiment and will probably make a small quantity of Port each fall, at bottling time when I bottle the previous year's reds.

Beyond that? I've considered making a Cranberry and Elderberry might make a nice Port.

I actually use brandy from wine that was lower quality. I normally only fortify wines that were too sweet or were less than 12% alcohol. most of my wines i aim for 13 to 14%.

Latest posts

Back