Using vodka to fill empty space in carboy.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ikeya

Junior
Reaction score
So I have read where you can use vodka to top off carboy after racking. Was wondering if anybody had done it and if so could tell me how it went. Today I bought a strawberry and a mango vodka. (Strawberry mango wine in the carboy right now)

It depends what you want to end up with I suppose. That will also depend on how much you need to top up. A few ounces won't hurt. Would you enjoy either of the vodkas by themselves? If not, why add it to the wine.

Unless you’re planning on using Nikolai vodka, it would be much cheaper to add a crisp white wine as @sour_grapes suggested. A white Bota Box is only $13-$15 depending on where you purchase. And, it’s a much better choice for wine...

If you don't have a lot of head space then just make sure your airlock is good an do nothing. It shouldn't effect the wine for short term.

I've heard of people using vodka in the airlock, but I'm not certain I've ever noted someone topping up with vodka.

If you have an all-in-one pump, you can buy an attachment that takes care of head space. Talk to
Steve, he'll be glad to help.

Better to be safe than sorry, it's the correct tool to be using.
Infiltration of other wines never made sense to me , either rackdown, or use an inert gas to creat positive pressure in the bottle.

Best way to go is to start out larger quantity than your desired end amount ( For 3 gallon batches I like to have 1/3 to 1/2 gallon extra for topping off). Have various size bottles that your extra wine (topping-off wine) will fill then fit that with an airlock while the extra and you main carboy age. A little cumbersome but in reality after your first 2-3 rackings your loss should be minimal as all sediment should be gone. but you will have wine to top off with the same wine as you go. When you end up with an amount to small to put in a smaller container (you used 8-10 ounces from a 12 - top-off bottle) then just drink the leftover topping off wine. You'll get a good idea of how your wine is aging as well.

Latest posts

Back