using vintage carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contactme_11

Reaction score
I recently bought a couple really old water jug carboys and I got to thinking about concerns. My question is, does anyone know if the old water carboys contained lead in the glass? And if so, should I be worried about this or is it only an issue with very long term racking?

I for one would not worry. But, make sure they are clean and sanitized before use.

They have known about lead for some time now so I would think these carboys are fine as far as that goes, youll probably want to do a very good strong cleaning and then sanitizing to them and then a good rinsing.

I agree with the earlier posts and if you're not going to use them right away leave about 2" of k-meta sanitizing soulution in them with a solid bung until your ready for them. I few of us do that with all of our empty carboys.
That is except for Tom. His carboys are always filled with wine.

Lead glass is quite weak. They would not use it to make functional items. It is mostly used for art applications.

Latest posts

Back