Using that Wine Thief

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
OK..It is "Stand Up and Testify" time and possibly a time for repentance concerning my use of the plastic wine thief.

2005-09-18_042552_w_thief_p_sm.jpg

That little nipple on top that is intended for placing your thumb has had the experience of having my lips locked on it and drawing the wine thief full when extracting samples for SG testing. Is this OK? A definate " You fool....what were you thinking?", Oh my gawdddd !!!

Well that is a new way to use it...never crossed my mind to do that!

If you place the thief in the liquid it will fill slowly until it reaches the level on the thief at the top of the liquid
smiley5.gif
huh...what...if you want it full put the thief in the liquid all the way to the handle.

A better option to measure SG of your musts and wines to get a thief/test jar combo. To fill this a simple up and down motion will fill it quickly and you only need to clean one piece of equipment and I keep my hydrometer in it all all times to prevent breakage...ain't it cool!

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5432

thief_sm.jpg

I have both the wine thief and the thief/test jar combo. I love the wine thief/test jar combo Masta is bragging on. It is one of my most used pieces of equipment. Lynn

I also use the winethief, but not as a test jar. I like my dedicated glass test jar better because I can let it sit in it stood up without the wine running out the bottom.

Yes the combo is actually 1/8 inch smaller in diameter than the plastic wine thief.

The wine thief/test jar is an absolute must. (oops sorry) I can check SG with
impunity now. I'm working on a Pinot Grigio and have been worried about
the color; looked too orange in the carboy. I stabilized three days ago and
took an SG reading (of course). Using the wine thief and test jar I could see
the color was perfect when it was in a reasonable sized container.Straw
with a hint of green. Just perfect.

Actually had a little snifter at the same time. It's definitely gonna be good.
(Wine Expert Selection International that was)

Back