Using surplus to top up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiffy

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can advise on how I would keep surplus wine must in good condition for topping up after initial fermentation and racking processes. Concerned that if I put surplus into second demijohn the air space in it will spoil the wine.

Thanks for your help.

Find a container that the wine can fit into that has no headspace. Try a 1.5ltr bottle or 2. Make sure you keep a airlock on

Tom's correct. Save various sizes of wine bottles to keep excess wine in. Add an airlock and if you ever have headspace, refer it. That ill give you a few days but beyond that your wine will begin to oxidize and be ruined.

I have used the small 375ml bottles and even an ocassional magnum. It's a tough call sometimes. You need enough to fill up your carboy yet too much and your wasting.

Maybe someone will invent a plastic carboy that is safe for wines yet can be squeezed to remove headspace. Whatever the amount.

I just used a wine bottle to hold my remaining peach wine to top off with later. They make bungs to fit almost any bottle!!

Like Tom said - make sure you fit an air lock on it - and reduce head space as much as possible.

Surplus returned

Thank you both. Might be an obvious question so sorry for asking but how do you fit an airlock to non-standard bottle?

Problem solved

Many thanks to you both. I have an elderberry and runner bean wine in the early stages of fermentation. I'll certainly toast your health at the time of drinking!

Rob

Runner bean wine? What's that like I wonder? I have some runner beans and not sure what to do with them since it's the first year I have grown them.

I may be confused, but why must it be must. It seems that finished wine will work as well. I have just started using 7&12 oz beer bottles in which I will keep some of each wine that I make. It will serve as a drink when I don't want to open a bottle and it will be used for topping up when needed. If you determine that only must will fit your need, try freezing some. :b

Like lurker, I'm wondering why you want to top off with fermentable must, which might restart fermentation in secondary...vs topping off with fermented wine which shouldn't be able to restart fermentation in secondary.

It depends on how much you are making, but for 20 gallons, I find that a 1 gallon wine jug will compensate for the first racking (and tasting loss). Treat the gallon just as if it were a carboy (stopper and ferm trap).

Good point on using the previously made wines to top up. Before I read these last two posts I transferred the must to a demijohn. Despite searching high and low in the UK I couldn't locate a wine bottle bung that came pre-bored. So I drilled one myself. Seems to be working OK.

What'll I'll probably do is use the spare to top up after the fermentation dies down at the end of the first week then use previously made wines to top up when racking later.

Sound sensible?

The runner bean came through a surplus of runners on the veg plot and a couple of recipes found online and in CJJ Berry's book. Apparently takes the harsh edge of elderberry.

I may be confused, but why must it be must. It seems that finished wine will work as well. I have just started using 7&12 oz beer bottles in which I will keep some of each wine that I make. It will serve as a drink when I don't want to open a bottle and it will be used for topping up when needed. If you determine that only must will fit your need, try freezing some. :b

Whiffy is talking about saving surplus must/wine when it is racked from the bucket to the carboy after primary fermentation. As mentioned by others, this can be put under airlock in bottles and used for topping up later. It should complete fermentation like the carboy. After fermentation is complete it should all be stabilized, and if after the carboy is topped up, there is still some left, it can still be kept under airlock for later topping up ( additional rackings) or bottled/drank as desired.

Also when is a must no longer a must? I don't know, but I suppose as soon as fermentation starts, it becomes wine, albeit weak, sweet wine, and must is the wrong word to use at this point. I don't think anyone would use must for topping up - wine at a similar stage or finished wine would be used, as you have suggested.

Maybe I'm missing something but if you have several varieties of wine unopened. why not just open a similar wine. Top up and then drink the rest of the bottle.

Maybe I'm missing something but if you have several varieties of wine unopened. why not just open a similar wine. Top up and then drink the rest of the bottle.

You are right and this is actually what most people do, but the original question was how to save leftover must(wine) when racking, and the answer was to put it in appropriately sized bottles under airlock.

Latest posts

Back