Using Rubbermaid Trash Cans?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Rubbermaid Brute trash cans for a primary, I have a new 20 gal, #4 plastic, I'd like to use it for fruit wines because of the additional volume fruit wines require. Any thoughts?
Troy

I would only use it if it is brand new and of food grade quality, some are, some arent!

There is a How To article in the current issue of Brew Your Own Magazine which is the Beer version of Winemakers Magazine which shows converting a Rubbermaid trash can into a fermenter. I have used one before and it worked fine. They are food grade. At least the Roughneck or Toughneck gray ones are.

The Rubbermaid website has specs on the trash cans and tells which ones are food grade. Smurfe is right in that the grey ones are food grade, but some of the other coloured ones in the same product line are not.

Oh boy!! Now I am scaring MYSELF:) 20 gallons at a time? Whose fault do I owe this addiction?:r
troy
LOL

Has anyone used the Rubbermaid Brute trash cans for a primary, I have a new 20 gal, #4 plastic, I'd like to use it for fruit wines because of the additional volume fruit wines require. Any thoughts?
Troy

I've got a 10-gal and 30-gal that I've used as primaries for several years.

Are they white, Ive read many times to only use the white ones just like only using white hoses to drink out of as the others leach chemicals and tastes.

Find a local rehabilitator of poly drums. Really cheap and much less than the trash cans. For instance a 55 gallon drum cleaned a ready to use (maybe) can be had for 20 bucks. Most have numerous sizes to choose from.

I bought a gray one and it has the food grade stamp on the bottom

Just checked out the Rubbermaid site and it says White, Yellow, and Gray re the only food grade ones. I am looking into getting a few of these with lids and wheels for doing grapes.

Just checked out the Rubbermaid site and it says White, Yellow, and Gray re the only food grade ones. I am looking into getting a few of these with lids and wheels for doing grapes.

Those Rubbermaids with the four wheel dolly that locks on the bottom of the can are really sweet!

Thats what Im looking at and they ship from PA from Uline. About $88 to my house with a 20 gallon w/lid and dolly.

Yes I bought mine at the depot. Not sure about the size but it was there biggest one. They had the dolly's also. You may have to ask. Also if you have a janitor supply place in your area you could check them as the schools use them. I use to buy them for the students to use in the Gross Anatomy Lab for disections. Those barrels would get to be just too healy to lug around.

I was looking for the white ones which they list without lids but now that I know the gray ones are OK I see they have hem with Lids and better pricing so thanks.

Latest posts

Back