Using peach schnapps?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopsyKrett

Reaction score
hi have a peach/Grape wine in the secondary at the moment and i was going to back sweeten here in the next day or so and i was going through my refrigerator and i came across a bottle of peach schnapps, what do ya'll think of using this as a back sweetener/flavoring? or do you think that it would be too much of an alcohol taste and would just ruin it?

p.s. as it stands the wine is about 12% abv.

mix a little up in a glass and see how it tastes is what i would do

I would not. It would add more alcohol. Wines with fruit in are delicate. To much alcohol will kill the taste/flavor. I would shoot for 10-11% tops when you have fruit in wines.

Sangria + port

Peach schnapps is great in white wine sangria, however... Hey Tom - what if he turned it into a fortified wine? Just wondering....

I am doing a port wine "test" on one gallon of my plum/ banana ending it's 5th day in primary. The taste is just soo good, I decided to try and stop it by adding vodka (in this case, 1.5 cup added), which has worked. Just an experiment. I think at the end I am supposed to add glycerin as well...

Peach schnapps is great in white wine sangria, however... Hey Tom - what if he turned it into a fortified wine? Just wondering....

I am doing a port wine "test" on one gallon of my plum/ banana ending it's 5th day in primary. The taste is just soo good, I decided to try and stop it by adding vodka (in this case, 1.5 cup added), which has worked. Just an experiment. I think at the end I am supposed to add glycerin as well...

I wouldnt unless you/he has enough experience in it.
Most fortified wine is adding Everclear ( grain alcohol) or vodka

ya thats what i kinda figured, i thought i would throw that one out there for you more experinced guys. i just going to backsweeten/flavor the wine the way i was going to the first time. but thanks you guys for your replies.

I have recently made the lum eisenmann berry port ( see recipe section) .. have added brandy to one carboy and vodka to two others.. It's certainly upped the abv to around 20% and I think it will age well.. has retained some flavour and have backsweetened one batch to see how that matures as well.

If you want to experiment with the schnapps.. just split the batch and try it.

We all have different tastes in finished wines.

Allie

Playing outside the box

A girl after my own heart - we love to experiment!

Back