Using One-Step no rinse cleaner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braden

Reaction score
First wine kit I’ve ever done and just moved everything into the secondary car boy yesterday. I’ve been doing my sanitizing before anything touches the wine. I just realized from online that One-Step requires a 2 minute contact time. I never knew and kinda just washed my stuff with a clean rag and soaked my equipment for maybe 30 seconds or so if that. Anyone think I’ll have any problems? I did taste my wine the other day when moving it into the secondary car boy and it didn’ttaste spoiled or bad.

First wine kit I’ve ever done and just moved everything into the secondary car boy yesterday. I’ve been doing my sanitizing before anything touches the wine. I just realized from online that One-Step requires a 2 minute contact time. I never knew and kinda just washed my stuff with a clean rag and soaked my equipment for maybe 30 seconds or so if that. Anyone think I’ll have any problems? I did taste my wine the other day when moving it into the secondary car boy and it didn’ttaste spoiled or bad.

it’s best to follow the guidelines, I’m sure you will going forward. Odds are that your wine will be just fine.

I just realized from online that One-Step requires a 2 minute contact time.

If you "soak" for 30 sec, and wait a total of 2 min before using it, you should be ok. The residual film should be enough to kill whatever is hanging on during the remaining 1.5 minutes.

Are you using the OneStep as your sanitizer or cleaner?
I could be wrong but I think OneStep used to be classified/listed as a sanitizer in the past but for some reason it isn’t any more. (More strict requirements?)

If using as a cleaner then take comfort in knowing this. If using as a sanitizer then should be aware of it at least.

Again,I could be mistaken. I forget if it was OneStep or PBW. I use OneStep for a quickie (love that no-rinse) and PBW for more thorough cleaning. But I still follow both up with a K-meta sanitizing.

I wash EVERYTHING with OneStep, but prior to anything touching my wine I spray it with Kmeta and let it sit for a few minutes. I use 4 tbs Citric Acid and 2 tbs KMS to a gallon of water for my spraying. No problems yet.
Edited: I meant "Citric" Acid, not Ascorbic.

Last edited:
Back