Using oak chips at fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2E60F878-F40C-4D13-B1E9-CBA5CA4D4ED8.jpeg I’ve made Cab Franc from the vineyard we are getting these grapes 4 out of the last 5 years. This wine is fine and don’t need no oak chips. I would say that @4score is quite brave to experiment on 3,000 pounds of grapes. Perhaps a low risk scenario, but the intent of adding oak chips is to change the taste profile of the wine and I’m happy with the way it is, unchanged.

I read an article the other day that seemed to say that adding oak during fermentation didn’t really help with non vinefera grapes.

. Perhaps a low risk scenario, but the intent of adding oak chips is to change the taste profile of the wine and I’m happy with the way it is, unchanged.

I comprehended this concept to be a little different than that.
—The goal isn’t to change the taste profile- but to make the existing profile more pronounced. And the oak would be acting as sacrificial tannin and become bound to allow more of the skins natural tannin to be extracted. That was my understanding at least.
So the right amount and toast of oak (or tannin) added would enhance natural flavors. Only Too much would change it. I’ve done both ways now. More so for juice pails and have added leftover oak to grape batch. Still mulling over oak for spring grapes- tho leaning towards not. But maybe. Still clueless :)

When I first read about using oak chips the writer alluded to their use as being for those years when one is forced to harvest early to help with the green, herby flavors.

There are some technical reports out there (which I can't source at the moment) that basically say: At harvest, some Northern Hybrids show normal to high levels of tannins...But that post fermentation and during bulk aging they tend to disappear. The addition of oak at crush seems to capture the tannins and fix colors. All of this doesn't yet seem to be too well researched or documented. I suspect that doctoral student theses are researching this presently. I did this with Petite Pearl last year, and it seems to have very good tannic structure.
I was planning on making some Petite Pearl this Fall, but I am still looking for a source of grapes. I was wondering if you live anywhere near northern Illinois and where you source your grapes from?

View attachment 48110 I’ve made Cab Franc from the vineyard we are getting these grapes 4 out of the last 5 years. This wine is fine and don’t need no oak chips. I would say that @4score is quite brave to experiment on 3,000 pounds of grapes. Perhaps a low risk scenario, but the intent of adding oak chips is to change the taste profile of the wine and I’m happy with the way it is, unchanged.
Nice grapes, i just planted Cab Franc, and im in southern california in San Luis Obispo County

We experimented with this using 5 pounds in our bin at crush last season with our Cabernet. So far, the results are really good. So good, that @NorCal and I and other partners will be crushing our Cab Franc and Petite Syrah into oak chips once again this coming season.

So what are the benefits? One notable benefit is the reduction of any vegetal characteristics. This can be REAL helpful with Cab Franc. I think another benefit is a overall perceived "smoothness". Petite Syrah can bring big tanins to the forefront, and I'm hoping to tame them a bit with this strategy. Studies have shown that this approach can also enhance the fruit component....probably due to a reduction of the vegetal aromas. Others have asserted that chips at this stage can also enhance the pigmentation. Studies haven't concluded that at least as far as I've read.

I was made aware of this approach with oak chips after talking with renown winemaker, Jeff Runquist. We observed him crushing into bins that already contained about a 5-gallon bucket's worth of Evoak Classic Medium Toast American small chips. His wines are always consistently smooth and award-winning. Could this be another element in our quest to keep improving our wines? The jury is still out, but the Cab is doing well and we'll see how this works with Cab Franc and Petite Syrah in the coming months. I just ordered a 40-pound bag. I wanted to make sure I had this in our tool bag BEFORE the mad ordering starts in preparation for this harvest.

Is anyone else using small oak chips (or dust) at fermentation?

Problem I see is oak chips will work counter to the introduction of extraction enyzmes. The oak chips usually are added for our fermenetation 24 hours after AF to introduce Gallic acid along with fermentation tannins.

Michael
Winemaker - amigoni urban winery

Gosh you guys really make me realize just how "small potatoes" I am with my 11 gallons in my laundry room. Nevertheless, this is really neat information.

4Score - I'm down here in Tuolumne. Would love to get my hands on a bottle of your wine.

Gosh you guys really make me realize just how "small potatoes" I am with my 11 gallons in my laundry room. Nevertheless, this is really neat information.

4Score - I'm down here in Tuolumne. Would love to get my hands on a bottle of your wine.
Nice, I have family in Calaveras and Tuolumne. Matter of fact some 40+ year old grapevines on my property came off family property in the area. SInce we had no clue what they were we sent a sample to UC Davis.

I'll have your name on a bottle of the new Cab!

Latest posts

Back