Using oak chips at fermentation

Discussion in 'Wine Making from Grapes' started by 4score, Mar 22, 2018.

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above.
Tags:
  1. NorCal

NorCal Super Moderator Super Moderator

2E60F878-F40C-4D13-B1E9-CBA5CA4D4ED8.jpeg I’ve made Cab Franc from the vineyard we are getting these grapes 4 out of the last 5 years. This wine is fine and don’t need no oak chips. I would say that @4score is quite brave to experiment on 3,000 pounds of grapes. Perhaps a low risk scenario, but the intent of adding oak chips is to change the taste profile of the wine and I’m happy with the way it is, unchanged.

2. Norton

Norton Senior Member

I read an article the other day that seemed to say that adding oak during fermentation didn’t really help with non vinefera grapes.

3. Ajmassa5983

Ajmassa5983 Member Supporting Member

I comprehended this concept to be a little different than that.
    —The goal isn’t to change the taste profile- but to make the existing profile more pronounced. And the oak would be acting as sacrificial tannin and become bound to allow more of the skins natural tannin to be extracted. That was my understanding at least.
    So the right amount and toast of oak (or tannin) added would enhance natural flavors. Only Too much would change it. I’ve done both ways now. More so for juice pails and have added leftover oak to grape batch. Still mulling over oak for spring grapes- tho leaning towards not. But maybe. Still clueless :)

4. Applegrower

Applegrower Junior

When I first read about using oak chips the writer alluded to their use as being for those years when one is forced to harvest early to help with the green, herby flavors.

5. regnistep

regnistep Junior

I was planning on making some Petite Pearl this Fall, but I am still looking for a source of grapes. I was wondering if you live anywhere near northern Illinois and where you source your grapes from?

6. CK55

CK55 Senior Member

Nice grapes, i just planted Cab Franc, and im in southern california in San Luis Obispo County

GEM likes this.
  7. mamigoni

mamigoni Urban winemaker

Problem I see is oak chips will work counter to the introduction of extraction enyzmes. The oak chips usually are added for our fermenetation 24 hours after AF to introduce Gallic acid along with fermentation tannins.

Michael
    Winemaker - amigoni urban winery

JamesGrape likes this.
  8. Zintrigue

Zintrigue Senior Member

Gosh you guys really make me realize just how "small potatoes" I am with my 11 gallons in my laundry room. Nevertheless, this is really neat information.

4Score - I'm down here in Tuolumne. Would love to get my hands on a bottle of your wine.

4score and mamigoni like this.
  9. CK55

CK55 Senior Member

Nice, I have family in Calaveras and Tuolumne. Matter of fact some 40+ year old grapevines on my property came off family property in the area. SInce we had no clue what they were we sent a sample to UC Davis.

Zintrigue likes this.
  10. 4score

4score Member

I'll have your name on a bottle of the new Cab!

Zintrigue likes this.