Using Lalvin Bourgovin RC212

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country

Reaction score
I broke away from using champagne yeast in my red wine a few kits ago and have been happy using RC212. I don’t know how much of a difference it makes in the end but it makes me feel better. I do add extra nutrients as I assume the kit is set-up for the lower demanding 1118. Now for the question, I see that when WE ships out RC212 with a kit (some International Selection W/Skins) they use two packs pitched at the same time. I use one pack but hydrate it with goferm. Should I be using two? Would using two call for even more nutrients? Thanks for your insight!

I have seen WE ship out kits with 1 pkg of 212 and 1 pkg of 1118, but not 2 pkgs of 212. I always just pitch the 212 and hang on to the 1118 in case I get a stuck ferment

I did have one of the WE International kits come with two RC 212's, but I'm guessing it was a mistake. Lot's of times it is loose under the bag of juice, so I think it just found its way in somehow.

I don't think you need extra nutrient (edit: other than what you have added in the past) and I don't think it would be an issue to pitch both packets. I pitch a lot more yeast with my beer batches, sometimes up to a pint of yeast slurry if I have to keep a starter going longer than expected, which happens at times, and I think it actually starts up quite a bit faster. I think whether it is the optimum amount of yeast or a higher amount, it will replicate until it gets to the saturation of yeast cells needed to finish the job. In the case of two packets it just might get there a little quicker, especially if the yeast in the packet is older or got compromised by temperature in some way. Just my humble opinion, not based on any facts, just the convoluted ones residing in my brain at the moment.

Last edited:
I've decided that going forward I'll generally use RC212 - or maybe occasionally Red Star Premier Rouge - on most kits of 16L or more (and also the 12L RJS Cru International kits with skins), and BM4X4 on the Fontana kits, as I'm less sure of the actual provenance of the Fontana juice/concentrate, and BM4X4 tends to give me a more complex and layered taste and aroma (to potentially help cover any shortcomings with the concentrate).

I've got a Williams Brewing kit that's basically a 5.5L in two 96 oz. cans (similar to the Fontana volume), that I haven't yet decided which yeast to use for. I also want to try a 3-gallon batch using an Alexander's concentrate, and I may go with RC212 or Premier Rouge on that since I've generally read good things about the quality of that line.

Latest posts

Back