Using Concentrate AND Fruit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubVet

Fast Boat Sailor
Reaction score
I'm planning on making some Elderberry wine. For me, it seems, the best thing is going to be using homewinery.com's concentrate. From reading previous posts, and e-mailing them, one of their 64oz bottles will make a great 3 gallons of wine and an ok 5 gallons. (yes I know they are designed for 5 gallons).

However, I would like to use the full capacity of my 5 gallon carboy. So I was thinking of using some frozen blackberries with the E-berry concentrate. I have just under 8 lbs of B-berries in the freezer that need to be used.

EC-1118
64oz HomeWinery Elderberry concentrate
7.5lbs "Fresh" Blackberries
Water to 5 Gallons
Sugar to SG 1.080
1 Banana

Does that sound like a legitimate must recipe?

I would also check acidity and add acid blend to .55% as well as yeast nutrient as per manufactures recommendation And 1/4 tsp Potassium metabasulfite 24 hours ahead of the yeast as you are using fresh berries. should be a dandy wine.

Subvet, I have made a wine just like u are describing. It turned out great! I use a lot of Home Winery concentrates, but I add a pint of extra concentrate to 5 gals of must, or add fresh or frozen fruit to KICK it up. The best wine I've made was 2/3 their Cab concentrate ant 1/3 my own Merlot grapes. Only have about 20 bottles left, BOO! Roy

Last edited:
THANKS for the feedback!

64oz HomeWinery Elderberry concentrate
7.5lbs "Fresh" Blackberries
Water to 5 Gallons
Sugar to SG 1.080
acid to 0.55%
1 Banana
5 K-meta tabs
5 tsp yeast nut

wait 24 hrs

pitch EC-1118

Don't forget you need pectic enzyme since you have the fruit. If you don't add it now, you'll need to do it later I add lots of fresh fruit to either juice buckets or homewinery concentrates and get a haze if I omit it. In the beginning it is added 12 hrs post kmeta and at least 12 hours before yeast is thrown. If added later at least 24 hrs after kmeta is added. Kmeta and heat of fermentation both inactivate PE.

other thoughts a fine bag for the black berries to control the tiny seeds would really help. Also with blackberries I'd use 71B to cut the malic acid. Check your PH, but you prob won't need much acid blend to get you where you want to be.

Pam in cinti

This turned out just fine.
I back sweetened half the batch and left the other half dry…both are great.

SubVet, I really appreciate the updates in your threads. I am always curious as to the results.

How much acid blend did you end up adding to get to your desired acid level? Also, did you use the pectic enzyme that was recommended in one of the posts?

Subvet, & others, I'm drinking a 2013 Blueberry from Home Winery Supply as I type this. Got home from a HARD days work, wife had it poured, and made ME guess. I usually make her guess. Well I tasted a hint of berries, but the wine was too thick, too rich, too dark etc to be a Blueberry. But it was! 4 pints Blueberry concentrate, & 1 pint Cab Sav concentrate to a 5 gal batch. This was/is an awesome wine! TGI have 10 gals that's 9 months old & ready to bottle. Roy. Ps I have added fresh fruit to their concentrates too. But not these batches !

Back