Using boiled/canned grape juice to sweeten?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
Hi all,
When we picked and pressed our grapes, I had about 8L left over (above the 85 or so fermenting). I figured we'd use it for grape juice or making jams, I didn't think about using it to back sweeten our wine later (Muscat).
So we boiled it and canned it. I have 8L in mason jars now.

Our Muscat wine itself is done fermenting, and we want to sweeten it up a bit. I'd prefer not to use table sugar.

I'll do a taste test before, but tas anyone ever used boiled juice before? It still tastes sweet, but not sure if there are any long term consequences to using it. If using it isn't a good idea I may get in some Muscat concentrate instead.

Thanks!

If your wine is now clear and you add more juice, it mite cloud the wine back up and you will have to wait for it to reclear. I would simmer it down some and concentrate it before putting it in the wine. I also might try it on a small amount before I added it to the whole batch. Arne..

We ended up using 4-5L of this boiled/canned juice along with sugar to sweeten the wine. We had done a tasting a couple weeks earlier and liked it.
Time will tell if that was a good decision or not, but as it is, tastes good!

canned juice can really make something goo o great - just remember to add sorbate and make sure it is clear prior to bottling

Back