using a latex glove for temp probe during fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detyianni

Junior
Reaction score
Hello I just ordered my first kit and am excited to get started. I will be fermenting in a cool basement and my plan is it wrap a heating pad plugged into a Ranco temp controller around during the first fermentation

(The temp controller was for a sausage aging fridge but never got around to that yet)

So I have a box of cornstarch powdered food service gloves. I was thinking pop the temp controller probe in the glove drill a little extra hole in the fermenting lid to tie or clip the glove to and submerge it.

Should I be worried about the cornstarch on trhe glove? If I get plain gloves is this doable? Or should I just tape the probe on the side of the bucket?

Also after I transfer to the carboy do I need to maintain temp with the heating pad still?

Thanks

I would tape it to the side. I'd be concerned about creating a haze you would have to deal with by using coated gloves, not to mention an off taste.

I wouldn't do it at all, I use latex gloves for cooking or making sausage all the time, and sometimes I notice that the latex reacts with certain foods leaving an ugly taste...

Not knowing exactly the shape and conifguration of the probe, is there a chance it will read a lower temperature next to the fermenter than inside? In which case, it would continue heating the juice inside to a higher temperature than intended, as the cooler air outside would distort the reading? I would use another thermometer to regularly check the juice's temperature when using the heating pad to be on the safe side.

If the probe itself is stainless steel or glass, I'd just sterilize it and plop it into the bucket.
Else, I'd stick it to the side, using styrofoam or bubble wrap (whatever's on hand) to insulate it from the outside.
But that's just me...

I just bought a submersible aquarium heater that I will be using. I heard they work great.

Aquarium heater

I just bought a submersible aquarium heater that I will be using. I heard they work great.

I made this elaborate thing:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f3/temp-control-my-latest-build-35450/

You by no means need to go over board like I did.

I dont know if you were planning on just putting the heater in your primary. I would not. I would put it in a water bath. That way warm water would circulate around the outside.You can get away with a Rubbermaid tote large enough to hold you primary. But if I were you I would use a 20 Gallon Utility Tub with Rope Handles, you know those ones people put a keg of beer in to ice it down. I would also suggest a small submersible aquarium pump ( like $10 at Pet Smart) to circulate the water around so there are no hot or cool spots. You would be amazed how well this system works for me.

RR

If you use a latex glove and any of those particles come in contact with the wine, the wine can be hazardous to those with latex allergies. Anaphylaxis is no fun and you would not believe how sensitive some people are. Just sayin'.

For immersible heater, you can also use the units they make for tea. I know of some who use them with winemaking.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I think I was overthinking before I even got started. I ended up folding up an old T-shirt into a square. Duct taping it to the side if the bucket and wedging the temp probe between the shirt and the bucket. I picked up a brew belt and its working great. Day 5 of primary fermenting and I snapped the lid of the bucket down yesterday with the airlock and bubbling every 5 seconds still.

I have been using disposable poly food service gloves in the kitchen for years. This is the type glove you see used in delies and cafeterias. 500 to a box, no coating, cost about $8 per box. Can get them thru Amazon or a kitchen supplies website.

Latest posts

Back