Using a Food Mill for Fruit Processing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crazy idea for you to maybe play with: before I started wine making last year I canned applesauce. I have an experimental batch in bulk (for 2 months) that used applesauce and my apple juice. Apple flavor was very good when racked. We'll see how it goes. Does the cooking change the apple? I don't really know.
I have definitely considered this! If I take the leap I'll give it a go. I sorta want to try a bunch of different things to see what hits so that we have a concrete plan for a larger batch of whatever it is the next year.

Crazy idea for you to maybe play with: before I started wine making last year I canned applesauce. I have an experimental batch in bulk (for 2 months) that used applesauce and my apple juice. Apple flavor was very good when racked. We'll see how it goes. Does the cooking change the apple? I don't really know.
One thing to consider cooking fruit. Fruit contains pectin, when making jelly/jam you cook fruit to set the pectin. This would throw a monkey wrench into clarifying the wine.

One thing to consider cooking fruit. Fruit contains pectin, when making jelly/jam you cook fruit to set the pectin. This would throw a monkey wrench into clarifying the wine.
Well....kinda...
Jelly has pectin added to make it jell, boiled for 1 minute.
Jam gets cooked to 220F. No pectin added. Whatever is naturally in the fruit is it.

I made jelly wine earlier this year for the heck of it. Pectic enzyme to the rescue. Crystal clear after 2 weeks in secondary.

But what you said brings up a good point - know your ingredients. Something "extra" may have to be done in some cases.

Back