Using a 1G cherry jar as a fermenter?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ConAcide

Junior
Reaction score
I've got a 1G plastic container from work ( I work in food and the containers come with maraschino cherries in them, so I assume they are safe for winemaking as well). The jars are linked at the end of this post, except the labelling being my workplace's rather than this brand. The lid is sturdy enough that I should be able to drill out a hole for stopper. Has anyone ever used these or similar for fermenting? I can essentially have a free unlimited supply of one gallon fermenters if this works out -- we go through 1-2 gallons every day.

similar jars: https://www.amazon.com/Regal-Marasc...ocphy=1013260&hvtargid=pla-680082560820&psc=1

I would just cover the opening with a cloth while fermenting. I would use the cap with a grommet and airlock for post fermentation and aging. are they greater than one gallon for juice it would be okay, if you have have fruit pulp might be more difficult to make one gallon recipe a 2 gallon bucket is better.

I would just cover the opening with a cloth while fermenting. I would use the cap with a grommet and airlock for post fermentation and aging. are they greater than one gallon for juice it would be okay, if you have have fruit pulp might be more difficult to make one gallon recipe a 2 gallon bucket is better.

I drilled out a hole and popped a grommet and airlock into it. Primary was in a 1G glass carboy, I'm doing the secondary in the plastic cherry jar I got from work. I'll consider it an experiment and report back. FWIW, when I went into my LHBS earlier today I saw some of these exact jars being sold for $13, airlock and all.

Latest posts

Back