Using 2gal or 5gal buckets to ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Biggz Lowe's has 2-gal food grade buckets for $4.98: https://www.lowes.com/pd/United-Solutions-2-Gallon-General-Bucket/1000462837

I cover mine with a dish towel, tied on with a piece of string. Cheese cloth is too porous. If there are any fruit flies in the room they could get through it

@Biggz Lowe's has 2-gal food grade buckets for $4.98: https://www.lowes.com/pd/United-Solutions-2-Gallon-General-Bucket/1000462837

I cover mine with a dish towel, tied on with a piece of string. Cheese cloth is too porous. If there are any fruit flies in the room they could get through it.
Thank you Raptor99, I do have a lowes about 35 miles away, i live in the mountains and not a lot near me so i order or drive but normally order. Thank you

Wow. Woke up to a lot of great information, thank to everyone who replied to this thread. Thanks to cmason1957,VinesnBines,Rice_Guy,Sour_grapes,Winemaker81 and Vinny again with the lovely pictures. Thanks again for all the replies and help everyone!

Thank you
Biggz

So really any food grade safe bucket with a cloth cover or a lid with the bung and airlock will work then?
@Biggz : Please note, there is a problem not mentioned here with a snap on lid with an airlock. The snap on lid may not snap shut all around the rim of the bucket. Then the winemaker thinks his/her wine is not fermenting 'cause there are no bubbles in the airlock. IMO use a fermenter with an appropriate size stopper and airlock. Problem avoided.

You learned why many of us make a slightly larger batch.

Most of my small batches are are 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 gallons, usually depending on the quantity of leftover pulp I'm expecting. Don't religiously follow a recipe, use it as a guide. I add extra fruit, adjust the SG to 1.085-1.090, adjust acid to around pH 3.5.

I got my 2 gallon buckets from a bakery, for free. My favorite price!!
I once used a 3 gallon carboy,,, oh wait that was my top off extra,,, that time, I got a bad habit, when after 30 years started back my first batch was 6 carboys plus topping off extras,, since i usually make 3 to 9 carboys a batch, funny how many friends and family come outta the wood work,
Dawg

I once used a 3 gallon carboy,,, oh wait that was my top off extra,,, that time, I got a bad habit, when after 30 years started back my first batch was 6 carboys plus topping off extras,, since i usually make 3 to 9 carboys a batch, funny how many friends and family come outta the wood work,
Dawg
Thank you for the information on the airlocks and bungs Mikewatkins727! Well i am new to the area so I do not have many friends as of yet so they wont be drinking all my stuff, lol.

Moved from Illinois to Colorado above 9,800ft elevation and love it here. So lovely compared to where my family moved from! I say i am new here but been here for over 4 years, lol. I just have a very painful disease that keeps me inside most times and I really don't try to get out and meet many people. So that is on me and all my fault there.

Moved from Illinois to Colorado above 9,800ft elevation and love it here. so lovely compared to where my family moved from!
Lived in the Mile High City when I was in the Air Force a long time ago. Loved it then, went through it some time later and was appalled by the smog.

FYI: Mile High City = Denver, CO

Thank you for your service Mikewatkins727, My father was Army for 25 years in Special Forces So I lived in a good amount of places growing up. I try not to go to Denver much except for doctor visits, about 1.5 hours away from me. I sit about a mile above Denver so i don't get the smog...love it where i am. sit right next to the Continental Divide. The base of Mt Elbert and Mt Massive are 4 miles from my door its just amazing!

Latest posts

Back