Used Whiskey Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnblk

Junior
Reaction score
I'm looking for some input on using, used whiskey barrels for wine making. Oak barrels being so cost prohibitive, used WB seem like a affordable option.
Thanks!

adds a nice spice to a good zin
Al,

Thanks for the response, my thoughts are the same, the whiskey reminants would add some flavor. However, what about sanitation? Have you had any experience with whiskey barrels?

Rick

I wouldn't use them - the inside of the barrels are charred - and from what i understand that is not good for wine making.

The guy who got me started uses a former whisky barrel and his wines are delicious.

I wouldn't use them - the inside of the barrels are charred - and from what i understand that is not good for wine making.

I obviosly don't hae the experience some have here, but it sure looked like the oak cubes I purchased were slightly charred and I have seen mention of people on here making their own cube/sticks by charring on a grill.

I obviosly don't hae the experience some have here, but it sure looked like the oak cubes I purchased were slightly charred and I have seen mention of people on here making their own cube/sticks by charring on a grill.

Yeah i don't have experience with whiskey barrels either - i am just relaying what i have read before.

Most people are looking for charred or toasted barrels. There are many different levels of toasting and also different oaks used in these barrels so it really depends on what type you are looking for. I dont know where to get any just stating that if I were to get a barrel which I will be getting soon I would surely get a toasted or charred barrel othyer wise its not much worth the money. It will have very little to offer without the charring.

Rick..you gotta start somewhere..in the end its all about the flavor profiles that you prefer....i dont have any whiskey barrels right now but will get some when the time calls for it...

sanitization and later on barrel nuetrality will become an issue...but for you pay for a whiskey barrel it should be worth it

Al,

As a fellow Italian I can see the forest through all the trees now thanks to your thoughts! I live 20 minutes from your vinyard and plan to visit in the very near future hopefully you won't be sold out of every thing....

"Ho capito, quando ero un bambino mi ricordo che i vecchi italiani utilizzati botti di whisky al vino età. Il vino era delizioso!"

Rick Russo

Hey Rick...20 minutes? what town you in..i have a cousin named Dave Russo....a very talented comedian ( daverusso.net) you are probably not related but thought i would run it by you

your welcome by most any time...!

Al,

As a fellow Italian I can see the forest through all the trees now thanks to your thoughts! I live 20 minutes from your vinyard and plan to visit in the very near future hopefully you won't be sold out of every thing....

"Ho capito, quando ero un bambino mi ricordo che i vecchi italiani utilizzati botti di whisky al vino età. Il vino era delizioso!"

Rick Russo

"I realized when I was a child I remember the old Italians used whiskey barrels to age wine. The wine was delicious!"

Rick Listen to Father Al and all will be well! It's always exciting to find someone on this forum from nearby.

Hey Rick...20 minutes? what town you in..i have a cousin named Dave Russo....a very talented comedian ( daverusso.net) you are probably not related but thought i would run it by you

your welcome by most any time...!

I'm in Chelmsford Ma, I enjoy Dave's comedy but like you say, not related as far as I know. I'm second gen. American. My grandfather did not have any siblings but my great grand parents did... We may be distant, regardless, a fellow wine lover/maker is always welcome! My wife and I will definately be knocking on your vinyards door...
Having just planted a small vinyard I've enjoyed the photos posted on your web site and look forward to our visit...

Rick

"I realized when I was a child I remember the old Italians used whiskey barrels to age wine. The wine was delicious!"

Rick Listen to Father Al and all will be well! It's always exciting to find someone on this forum from nearby.

I agree, I will learn something out of this yet... What a great site!

Rick...this chap is also from Chelmsford....his family stopped in the nursery/vineyard 2 summers ago...he never learned to make wine w his dad...but wanted to...he started coming in to assist me here and there..now we are good friends..and he helps me a TON....he wont take money from me so i told him to come up w a blend from some of my reds....i took this picture the other day to place on the label of a future wine that we will sell

fulchino vineyard hollis nh tutto di rossi picture Pete.JPG

its going on the back label of the Tutto di Rossi...have not checked how its proceeding in a few weeks now...need to taste it soon...was looking for a september release

i had the idea for a distinguished look to accompany this wine....figured i would have to take a 100 or so pics before it came out right....luckily enough it was about seven pics into the shoot...i snapped and saw the image and that was it...sometimes you just get lucky

Sorry to break this party up but my father made wines in wiskey barrels years ago and i would not recommend it at all.Wine should be aged in oak barrels used for wine only.This is coming from both ends of the barrels.Please ask the oak barrel wineires that use oak barrels and they will tell you the same thing but not be so nice about it.

well....umm..you never really said why you don't recommend it...all you inferred was that you were nicer about it than wineries that use oak barrels would be....thanks for sparing our feelings...we wont have to call in grief counselors now :)

not sure why you have an issue w your dad's wine in the barrels...i know for yrs i tasted my grandfathers and the whiskey barrels imparted a beneficial spicieness

and as i mentioned in a previous post..one's personal flavor tastes are what mattered

well....umm..you never really said why you don't recommend it...all you inferred was that you were nicer about it than wineries that use oak barrels would be....thanks for sparing our feelings...we wont have to call in grief counselors now :)

not sure why you have an issue w your dad's wine in the barrels...i know for yrs i tasted my grandfathers and the whiskey barrels imparted a beneficial spicieness

and as i mentioned in a previous post..one's personal flavor tastes are what mattered

Yes personal flavor is what matters,maybe you should use your grandfathers whiskey barrels to add a beneficail spiicieness to your wine if you like it so much.:)

Latest posts

Back