Used Whiskey Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wine Meets Whiskey

And read on HERE

The true perversion, however, took place back in Australia, where Philips convinced a cadre of winemakers to age some of their most promising juice in used whiskey barrels, sourced from Julian Van Winkle, proprietor of the Pappy Van Winkle Distillery in Kentucky. :br

Yes and so whiskey aged for 20 years in the same oak barrels that go neutral after 4 years or so yea right.Like i said go for it get your whiskey barrels and age your wine in it good luck with your wine.

Yes personal flavor is what matters,maybe you should use your grandfathers whiskey barrels to add a beneficail spiicieness to your wine if you like it so much.:)

Rock..i don't think i know you before today...maybe under another name? if i offended you before this exchange in some way...tell me what it was...since i dont know...

i am not sure what the dig is about...i dont recall trying to enforce upon you that you have to alter your wine making techniques.....

did you take the time to read the article that Running Wolf shared? Aftre this passage:

"The true perversion, however, took place back in Australia, where Philips convinced a cadre of winemakers to age some of their most promising juice in used whiskey barrels, sourced from Julian Van Winkle, proprietor of the Pappy Van Winkle Distillery in Kentucky. (Before those charred oak barrels held wine for eighteen months, whiskey slept in that same wood for twenty years.)"

came THIS:

“We work with winemakers I consider to be some of the most open-minded and innovative in the world,” Philips told me. “But, at first, they flat refused to do it. The wine business is very codified, and the peer pressure to conform is very intense. The French way is always better, and French oak is always better. And here I was asking them to use American oak barrels. Super-steroidal American oak barrels that smell of whiskey. It just isn’t done.”

Philips won the argument, and eventually fifteen hundred cases of Southern Belle Shiraz were on their way from Australia to America. Those $25 bottles should be in stores by the end of 2009.

I recently drank an early-release bottle. It was a heady, fruit-driven bomb of a wine, with a nose full of vanilla and a spine cobbled out of post oak. It was a wine that defied the dictates of terroir and tradition and begged for a rack of ribs. When I told Philips as much, he said, “I’ve always thought there’s more of an affinity between the American South and Australia than there is between the American South and the American North. The winemakers feel it; I feel it.” Now you’ll get to taste it.

Last edited:
Father Al, I wish you could make my party today. we are actually going to be tasting a wine aged in a whisky barrel from what I understand. Pic's and notes to follow...:dg

Last edited:
I can see a whiskey barrel giving a wine a nice flavor but Id be afraid to risk putting that much of my wine in there to find out. Like Rock said, if you atre looking for some oak extraction you are not going to get it here unless you take these barrels apart and shave them down some to expose new wood. I would like to get a very small barrel like 3 gallon and age me whiskey in it and then a Port or similar wine to try that. Everyone has their own tastes, people like liver and I DO NOT, that does not mean liver is nasty!

Im just a reader of this article and really have not input on the barrel issue,,, but WADE why did you have to go the liver route. That was like taking vinegar and putting it in your best wine. I think I'm going to be sick now :s :s :s

Rock..i don't think i know you before today...maybe under another name? if i offended you before this exchange in some way...tell me what it was...since i dont know...

i am not sure what the dig is about...i dont recall trying to enforce upon you that you have to alter your wine making techniques.....

did you take the time to read the article that Running Wolf shared? Aftre this passage:

"The true perversion, however, took place back in Australia, where Philips convinced a cadre of winemakers to age some of their most promising juice in used whiskey barrels, sourced from Julian Van Winkle, proprietor of the Pappy Van Winkle Distillery in Kentucky. (Before those charred oak barrels held wine for eighteen months, whiskey slept in that same wood for twenty years.)"

came THIS:

“We work with winemakers I consider to be some of the most open-minded and innovative in the world,” Philips told me. “But, at first, they flat refused to do it. The wine business is very codified, and the peer pressure to conform is very intense. The French way is always better, and French oak is always better. And here I was asking them to use American oak barrels. Super-steroidal American oak barrels that smell of whiskey. It just isn’t done.”

Philips won the argument, and eventually fifteen hundred cases of Southern Belle Shiraz were on their way from Australia to America. Those $25 bottles should be in stores by the end of 2009.

I recently drank an early-release bottle. It was a heady, fruit-driven bomb of a wine, with a nose full of vanilla and a spine cobbled out of post oak. It was a wine that defied the dictates of terroir and tradition and begged for a rack of ribs. When I told Philips as much, he said, “I’ve always thought there’s more of an affinity between the American South and Australia than there is between the American South and the American North. The winemakers feel it; I feel it.” Now you’ll get to taste it.

I guess it would be a good time to call in the grief counselors,I apologize if your were offended.And yes i did read the article.

Wine in a used barrel

I was experimenting with one of my new 10 liter American white oak barrels, first I aged tequila in it, the new small barrels do their work very quickly, in only one month I had the most wonderful tequila, usually I sell some but I wouldn't let anybody have any of this one, a few good friends got to try it but it was so good I drank it all myself. The barrel sat empty for a few weeks, if you're aging alcohol it pretty much sanitizes itself, and then I decided to age some white rum in it. I couldn't believe how magnificent the rum came out after the tequila, the agave made the rum sweeter and a fantastic flavor. Later I learned some people were here in Tequila, Mexico from Cuba buying up used tequila barrels to age rum in, I guess they had learned the same thing I did. So later I decided to age some wine in the same barrel. In the beginning I wasn't sure I liked the taste, I always start tasting after the first week or so because these new oak barrels can give too much flavor real quick. But the more I tasted it the more I liked it till finally in the end I drank all that too. It seemed to come out stronger, it went in the barrel at 12%, never did check it after it came out but just a small taste would get me high every time and a nice high too, till finally it was all gone.

BarrelMan, welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. Be sure to check out the introduction section and let us know somthing about yourself and what you have going on.

When you have a few minutes take a look at "The Map". You could be the first to sign on from Mexico.

Once again Welcome.

When you have a few minutes take a look at "The Map". You could be the first to sign on from Mexico.

I registered on the map as a member but I sell white oak barrels also, should I delete my member status from the map and register as a Brew Supply Store?

When we started making zin our grandfather told us about making the wine in old brandy barrels. After drinking some of his old wine (which we now realize was the victim of 20 years of very bad aging conditions) we thought that this would be a bad idea. However now that we have learned better, we wanted to give it a shot.

The trouble has been finding used brandy barrels as well as justifying making 50 gallons of wine at a time. Actually, now that I put that sentence into print, I can't seem to come up with a reason why 50 gallons of wine isn't a very, very good thing.

I would love to give this (zin in liquor barrels) a shot at some point.

Could you also add just a bit of whiskey to the wine in an aging vessel to get the same flavors? Does this work?

"Could you also add just a bit of whiskey to the wine in an aging vessel to get the same flavors? Does this work?"

You could always try it on a smaller scale; keep exact measurements so that if you like it you can use the same ratio.

I registered on the map as a member but I sell white oak barrels also, should I delete my member status from the map and register as a Brew Supply Store?

I see you already did this, you could sign up as a member too just give a location a little distance from the business location so the markers don't overlap each other.

check out wildside winery on the web
near lexington...
i personally can't wait to get bourbon barrel red

When I was a boy we had a neighbor who's granddad had stirred his whiskey with a green hickory stick, the whiskey turned out with a green tint and had a taste of hickory, at first he thought he ruined it but later he decided he liked it and that became that family's traditional whiskey, a slight green color and a hint of hickory.

My Homebrew Club is talking about getting a J D Whiskey barrel from Tenn.
Who has good pricing and shipping to NJ?

Same thought of using used barrels here, but old beer barrels. IN Midwest's catalog they sell soda ash, Barolkleen and sulphur strips to clean used barrels. I can get 55 gal barrels for $150.

Latest posts

Back