Used Press/crusher advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found an ad on Craigslist for an older crusher and #35 basket ratchet press (12gal?) Looking for advice on wear and tear and what’s workable and what isn’t.
It’s super cheap, and I offered 1/2 of asking price as a shot in the dark, but they accepted. ($150 for both) Here are the pics. I thought they looked fine and able to be cleaned up easily. Especially for the price. But again, this is new territory for me. Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated. IMG_9167.jpg
IMG_9268.jpg

Looks like the crusher could use a good cleaning and the press looks in good shape maybe the wood was left outside ( ashy color ) but over all in good condition I bet your looking forward to using them, good deal enjoy.

Thanks. But I haven’t bought em yet. And that’s what I was curious about.
For the crusher
-should rust be a dealbreaker ?
- if it functions well is there certain paint/clear coat protection recommended?

The press
-if the staves are good but just weathered think I’m cool to just protect em with a sealer?
-:any specific flaws or wear to look for?
-batch sizes will range from 100-300lbs.

I would just sand and paint the crusher no special paint its just crushing grapes ( pre fermentation ) should be just fine.
For the press I would give it a cleaning the same way you would clean a barrel and spray it down with your sanitizer of choice before pressing as far as wear if the ratchet on top doesn't bind at all and the pawels are ok give it a go.

I found an ad on Craigslist for an older crusher and #35 basket ratchet press (12gal?) Looking for advice on wear and tear and what’s workable and what isn’t.
It’s super cheap, and I offered 1/2 of asking price as a shot in the dark, but they accepted. ($150 for both) Here are the pics. I thought they looked fine and able to be cleaned up easily. Especially for the price. But again, this is new territory for me. Any thoughts or guidance is appreciated. View attachment 45400
View attachment 45399

I had been following those on craigslist for a number of weeks, surprised they are still available. I was going to pursue them back in october, but house projects got in the way, and harvest was over. There was a second newer crusher being offered with them originally. Little TLC and hey will be like new. Good luck. If you don't buy then and they are still around in january I might have to pull the trigger.

I had been following those on craigslist for a number of weeks, surprised they are still available. I was going to pursue them back in october, but house projects got in the way, and harvest was over. There was a second newer crusher being offered with them originally. Little TLC and hey will be like new. Good luck. If you don't buy then and they are still around in january I might have to pull the trigger.

Yeah I saw that as well. I didn’t want to get greedy with my lowball offer combining 2 different ads. Plus I like the curvy bar above the rollers that the newer one didn’t have. Never thought he’d accept, just wanted to give him a bite and something to think about in case they sat.

Press looks pretty nice. A little power washing and some EZ DO will have it looking great. Were it me (and of course, it isn't), I'd clean up the crusher and re-sell, using the proceeds to go toward a crusher-destemmer. Just one man's opinion, of course.

Agree with the others. The press looks to be in great shape and the crusher looks to be intact and just needs to be cleaned and/or painted. You could scrub it and use it without painting too. This is a good deal just for the press alone!

It sound like your are thinking of backing out of the sale. You made an offer and they accepted it. If it were me I'd be pretty ticked off if the buyer said no to their own offer.

Last edited:
I would break down the crusher (it does not look like a destemmer), scour and paint each component, then reassemble.

I would also break down the press, scour and paint all metal surfaces, then replace the wood.

at $150, not bad.

I would break down the crusher (it does not look like a destemmer), scour and paint each component, then reassemble.

I would also break down the press, scour and paint all metal surfaces, then replace the wood.

at $150, not bad.

That was almost my plan, but I hadn’t thought that far ahead. And exactly why I was asking.
I definitely planned to do them up proper. But hadn’t put too much thought into “how” just yet. And just as BoatBoy Jim said, these should be great and serve well until if I ever wanted to upgrade to also deal with those nuisance stems!
—-I never thought to replace the staves. That’s probably something I could do in the future to really make it shine. Definitely “good bones” as they say. And I dug the fact that it’s a legit looking ratchet and not a “threaded turning pressure” type.
I’ve used a couple diff crushers so I knew what I wanted. And those “gear style” rollers worked better than other spikey ones as they leave no gaps for berries to make it through whole. I’m very happy about it. Ill be meeting up with the seller on Friday I think.

Last edited:
Agree with the others. The press looks to be in great shape and the crusher looks to be intact and just needs to be cleaned and/or painted. You could scrub it and use it without painting too. This is a good deal just for the press alone!

It sound like your are thinking of backing out of the sale. You made an offer and they accepted it. If it were me I'd be pretty ticked off ff the buyer said no to their own offer.

No not at all. I’ve actually been texting with the seller this morning talking all things winemaking. And your correct about the press price. Was $150 and $80. So Essentially the crusher for free.
They were just a little older looking and I wanted to make sure and really don’t have anyone to turn to for advice aside from the forum. I was caught off guard when he accepted. And before I make the drive I figured to seek out some guidance. Thought there might have been something I was unaware of. Like “weathered wood staves can hurt this” or “rust can hurt that ”.
And thanks for the EZ DO tip Boatboy. I knew there was a preferred butcher block sealer but forgot which.

Sorry @pgentile , just too good a deal to pass up. (Just noticed I still don’t know your first name!) just so you know the seller upgraded to c/ds and hydro press. Items on sale been sitting 3yrs. Crusher was barely used. Held onto them as back ups but now just wants to give em a good home(more concerned with helping out fellow winemakers than making a buck)
You know at his asking price it won’t sit long, and obviously the man is willing to negotiate.
IMG_9169.jpg
there’s another ad I found which is also a great deal. A whole slew of equipment. Just too much for my needs and selling as a set. Demi’s , carboys, press, big ferment tub, manual crusher. $500. I’m sure you’ve already seen it but here it is anyway.
https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/for/d/wine-making-equipt/6414986551.html

No worries, the right deal will happen when I'm ready. Not clear on what you bought from the first ad? everything? Some things?

I saw the other ad as well. I would like the whole lot, but too many carboys and demijohns (never thought I would say that) for my micro basement winery.

Thanks

Paul

The 2 manuel crushers (old and newer) and basket press were all independent ads. I agreed to buy the press and older green/white one. I was just letting you know that the nicer newer red crusher he’s still selling. And negotiable even at the already modest price. That’s all.

Well pgentile, you may have lucked out slightly.
I met up with the seller last night. Great guy. He took me into his home and showed me all his new equipment and setup and whatnot. We ended up talking shop for over an hour. VC tanks, Full size Hungarian barrels, vinmetrica, essentially everything I could ever think to put on my WineMaking wish list. (Even had those Lafitte personalized corks I see discussed) My eyes were big.
In his garage he already had the press and the newer crusher pulled out- not concerned with the agreed terms. He said “but if you want the older one too just take it. I’d rather see her get put to good use”.
So I am now the proud owner of a #35 ratchet basket press and not 1 but 2 crushers. for a price i almost feel guilty about. Obviously I do not need 2 crushers. I’ll be using the newer one. The other needs a good cleaning. Refurbished it could shine. The curved rotating bar is a nice feature too. @pgentile , it’s yours if you want it. Just say the word.
I could hook it up proper and re-sell, but might be a long time before I got to it. Plus I’d rather pay it forward. For, I’m a believer in Karma.
IMG_9394.jpg

Dude, so cool to see you got all that stuff. Sounds like an interesting meet-up too. He should be re-assured this all went to a good home. And yes I'm highly interested in that crusher. I will be happy to pay what you think is fair value. Thank you

Well then it's a deal I can't pass up. Can't thank you enough. Have a good Christmas. And don't forget outside of this deal we are swapping a bottle each of our spring 2017 cabs.

Amazing what you can find in IKEA parking lots. Met up with Mr @Ajmassa5983 this evening and low and behold the crusher below is in my possession. I want to use it in four weeks, now do I sanitize and use or restore? Once I give it a good inspection i'll figure out which. He also gave me a bottle of a 2016 Bravado. Despite the glass in the photo the Bravado will go in the cellar until I can give him an equivalent bottle of red. I did give him a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc and a bottle of oaked dry cherry wine though. Thank you again Andrew.IMG_20180306_205006528.jpg IMG_20180306_205038556_1_1.jpg IMG_20180306_205348143_HDR_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back