Used oxi-clean and need advice plz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumazilla

Reaction score
I need advice. So, normally I use oxi clean and a tub and put my bottles in there and let the labels come off (been soaking since Wednesday, so not even a week). Never had an issue before now. These bottles coming out feel “etched” on the outside instead of smooth. Can I assume they are “etched” on the inside and thereby unusable to bottle in cuz they may not be fully cleaned and sanitized? I've used a magic eraser on the outside to try to get the glass smooth (with much success) and ran a bottle brush cleaner on a drill on the inside with my cleaner from the brew shop. But, obv, I can't run my fingers on the inside to check how it feels. And, not to sound rude, but don't make the post all about not using oxi-clean, but rather answer the "etching" feel...tyia

Are you sure it was oxi-clean and not TSP? TSP will etch things so they are clean and will hold paint better.

It was not TSP, definitely. What acid soak would you recommend? And, just on the inside? I can live with the outside of the bottle feeling weird. I just want the inside absolutely smooth and sanitized!

I keep a 5 gallon bucket of StarSan on hand. But, as a test you could try some vinegar. Depends on what you have. I also have things like citric acid available. At this point you just want to see if it will work. You only need to test one bottle.

I found it depends on the bottles. I’ve never had problem with oxy-clean Until one batch would come out looking etched and feeling rough. Hot water, soap and a scratchy fiber pad took it off.

I use an orange-based cleaner (Goo Gone?) on stubborn bottles, spray, let set 20 minutes, scrub with paper towel. That works 98% of the time. The caveat is that you have to wash the outside of the bottle with soap & water to remove the cleaner residue. If the orange cleaner got inside the bottle, I'd recycle it.

I find Oxy-clean very difficult to rinse off of anything. I'd never use it on wine bottles. Soaking the bottles in regular water is usually all it takes to soften the labels for removal.. I soak the bottles then use the blade of a knife to scrape the labels off and a stainless scouring pad to remove the residue. For cleaning stuff that's stuck on the inside of bottle, if a brush doesn't work, I use sand mixed with water.

Latest posts

Back